Looking to buy a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Snayton, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Snayton macrumors newbie

Hey guys my name is Nat and I'm new to the forums. I was looking to buy a Mac Pro desktop computer to use for music production. I just bought Logic Pro 9 but it's still sealed. I was going to use my Macbook Pro but than I figured I am going to use that laptop strictly for djing.

I know alot of you are pros on this so I wanted to ask here first. Should I wait and buy the new 2010 Mac Pro as you guys are saying could be very good or should I buy a refurb Mac Pro right now? Thanks alot for your help! :D

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

We don't know if the 2010 MacPro, whenever it comes out, will have the audio problem fixed. A 2008 model is your best bet.

EDIT - search for "Audio problem kills mac pro green factor" or something along those lines. Would link, but don't have the time ATM.

3. maghemi macrumors 6502

With all the Audio issues with the 2009 machines, If Audio is your thing I'd be avoiding them. The 2008 machines are still very worthwhile machines.

This Thread Here will explain to you all the audio issues that are abound.

Apple are really hard to speculate over new products. So I guess the real questions is, do you need the computer soon? or can you wait months?

Because the 2008 machines are based on the same EFI64 system as the 2009 and most likely 2010 machines and beyond. They're not likely to be obsoleted in the fashion that the 2006-7 machines with EFI32 have been. So you can still buy the 2008 machines with reasonable confidence of longevity for the system.

As you're new also, the numbering scheme for Mac Pros is as follows

1,1 = 2006
    2,1 = 2007
    3,1 = 2008
    4,1 = 2009

4. Snayton thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you very much both of you for your help and tips. I had no clue that the 2009 models had audio problems. I could possibly wait for the new 2010 models to come out but when do you think release would be?

If I were to purchase a 2008 model which one should I get and where is a good place to purchase? Would Ebay be my best bet? Thank you so much! :)

5. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Some people suggest late Q1 this year. Their release is up in the air since last year Apple used Intel's Nehalem chips before any other vendor got a good dose of them.

2008 models often appear in the Apple Refurb Store from time to time, but might not be there when the 2010 models appear. Refurbished models can be insured for three years after the purchase date, IIRC, which is something a tad nice (somebody correct me if I am wrong).

Unfortunately, if you have your eye on a certain model, its hard. However, the 3.2GHz 8-core in there at the moment isn't anything too shabby, just so you know. ;)

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

That's exactly the same intended setup of mine, except I'm currently at war with myself whether to get the Mac Pro or the iMac, strictly for Logic 9 work. I have a 13" MBP thats temporarily sitting in as my Logic system, but its main purpose has always been intended for Ableton Live DJing.

But like the others before me mentioned. Annoying audio issues in the '09. And like many others here, I'm simply waiting for the next 2010 Mac Pro announcement. I'm hoping for an earlier-than-spring announcement so I can finally make up my mind.