looking to buy a macbook...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jlewis2k1, May 6, 2008.

1. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

So I am planning on purchasing a MacBook, but I have some questions first.

I am looking at getting the 2.1 GHz with 2GB of memory using the student discount. I love listening to music, what is the quality of the the speakers on the MacBooks? Also, would this be a good time for me to purchase a MacBook since I have read on here that there could be a potential revamp or something with the MacBook line.

I have also been looking at these incase hard cases for the macbook, would these be worth to get? Another thing, there is this cool looking bag thing for the MacBook (link), has anyone got this and what are your opinions of it? I thought it would be cool to get because of the compartments also I could possibly put a text book and a notebook in there for class.

One last question, I am kind of skeptical on purchasing an AppleCare plan with the MacBook, would this be a good option to get?

2. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    If you can wait until at least June, there is a possibility of a refresh of the MacBook. They'll be switching to an aluminum casing from the current plastic casing. You could get a better spec machine for the same amount, or the same machine refurb for less, if and when they do refresh the line.

Applecare is strongly recommended on notebooks.

3. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Do what he said ^^^. Wait till June so if they do update the macbooks you'll have a sweet new aluminum one but then if you don't like them, you can get probably a new (as of now) blackbook for cheap.

4. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

The quality of the speakers on the macbooks are certainly nothing to brag about, but they're not too shabby for notebooks their size. If you're serious about music, I would recommend hooking them up to external speakers, but I find them fine when I use it when I'm surfing in bed.
    As for waiting, keep in mind that all the rumours of redesigns and whatnots are just that, rumours. There's no guarantee that this will happen. Personally I don't think we will see the macbook line transition into aluminum. Apple would want to distinguish the two lines and not cannibalize the sales of mbps. As is often said on here, if you need it now, just get it now. If you can wait, then better specs would always come out.
    As for Apple Care, it depends. Most people's laptop would never die on them, but you never know when you might be the unlucky one. You have up to one year after the purchase date of your machine to purchase apple care, so you could wait for a while to see if you computer's problematic. If it made it through the first year fine, and is still looking good, you might not need to. Also, it depends on how long you're planning to keep it and how good you're of taking care of your stuff. However, apple care does add to the resale value of macbooks, so if that's important to you, you might want to get apple care.

5. jlewis2k1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

have any of you had that particular bag for laptops or the hard case from incase?

6. iknowyourider macrumors 6502a

iknowyourider

Personally the MB speakers are very disappointing. I had a late model macbook pro for a while and the speakers were so good that often I wouldn't bother plugging in my nice external speakers with a sub-woofer.

7. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Get the apple care plan trust me on this. I hand people repair bills for computers(well used to now I work for a company internally fixing computers).

Heres why I say get the warranty: A lot of people/articles will misinform you and say "if it doesnt break within the first year it usually wont break". Completely false. Most of the repairs I see are about 1.5 - 2 years into the computers life and on laptops, most are either harddrive replacement, screens with burnt out bulbs/missing pixels, or the cd rom drive. I cannot quote you on a mac price as I fix windows machines but I know on windows machines to have someone replace this stuff its expensive. It all depends on if your willing to take the risk or not.

Heres what I would suggest, break the cost of the apple care down to what it costs monthly for coverage and ask yourself if thats worth it to ensure that if your computer breaks, your covered and don't have to buy a new one. Some people find value in warranties (I do and I fix computers) and some people dont. Go with what you feel is worth it but if you choose no warranty, just remember if something breaks itll possibly cost you more then the price of the warranty to fix.

8. jlewis2k1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

All of you have been good help for me. I think what I may do is get the AppleCare plan like within 6 months for now just cause there is already that one year protection already. I maybe purchasing the laptop either on sunday or tuesday depending on when I have free time. Once again thanks for your help everyone :)

9. closeupman macrumors member

closeupman

I'd do it after 90days, but no later if you really want to get AppleCare. When you get it, it EXTENDS your phone support. If you wait to 6 months, then you've wasted 3 months of phone support you could've had!

10. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

who needs phone support when there's MacRumors! ;)

11. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

Just a quick note,

In the UK, the higher education discount store lets you buy Applecare WITH the computer (i.e at the same time) for about 25% of the price.

If you wait, you have to pay full whack.

I don't know if it is the same in the USA.