Looking to buy a MBP 13" - A few questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Scarzy, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Scarzy macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I currently have a 6 year old pc. After various problems i've decided to buy a new laptop and have decided on the 13" MBP, it will be my first mac.

Just a few questions really:

1) Will upgrading the RAM or Hard Drive myself void the warranty?
    2) If it doesn't is it best to buy the RAM from crucial?
    3) I would want a sleeve for the laptop to protect it when its on my bag or not in use, what are the incase ones on the apple website like?
    4) What would you say would need to be done upon start up? Such as any applications which you would class as essential?
    5) And those that made the change, how simple is it to adjust?

Also is there any advice you could give to help me, from your previous experience?

Apologies if this is covered in other threads. I did some searching but couldn't find the answers I wanted :rolleyes:

Please note I live in england, so any suggestions in GBP would be nice.

Thanks,
    Scarzy

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

1. I don't think it will
    2. You can get ram from any company as long as it is compatible
    3. I don't know
    4. Really nothing but it depends on what your going to be using it for.
    5. I used pc ( as main OS at least ) all my life until about a couple years ago and it only took me about 1 hour to adjust ( but then again I was used to different OS's linux,unix etc... )

3. christurbo macrumors regular

1) Will upgrading the RAM or Hard Drive myself void the warranty?

No - They are user replaceable parts, there is a basic guide in the handbook you get with it.

2) If it doesn't is it best to buy the RAM from crucial?

Crucial RAM is good to go, Ebuyer sell it cheaper though. I have got the 4GB packs for both my 13" and 15" uMBP

3) I would want a sleeve for the laptop to protect it when its on my bag or not in use, what are the incase ones on the apple website like?

I used the Incase sleeve [black] and it was great.

4) What would you say would need to be done upon start up? Such as any applications which you would class as essential?

The Mac will come with most things stock... although....

If your into heavy photo editing then Photoshop CS4 is the best.
    Appcleaner is free and will uninstall any unwanted apps.
    Stuffit/UnrarX- for all your ZIPs/RARs
    Toast Titanium to burn your DVDs/ISO's
    Perian

5) And those that made the change, how simple is it to adjust?

Very easy, It took me a few hours - My career is in IT though. Most things are the similar to windows.

I have all the guides you need to clone / upgrade your HDD / Upgrade Your RAM / Fix issues / iPhoto

Check the link out in my sig.

Good luck!
    :cool:

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1. No it does not, unless you break something while doing it
    2. Crucial is best IMO, but it doesn't really matter
    4. Don't use start up items, they'll make your Mac boot slower. Only light apps like SmcFanControl
    5. I had used Macs before at my friends but not much. Looked some videos from Apple's site and it didn't took more than few days to learn the basics. It's now a lot easier than Windows have ever been

5. superlatic macrumors regular

Before I start I'm from Manchester UK

1) As said before dont think so, unless you break something doing it.
    2) I upgraded the RAM for my iMac (mid 2007) with crucial RAM, no complaints so far
    3) For my old iBook (sept 2005) I got a crumpler sleeve. Both laptop and sleeve still in use today.
    4) Again depends what your using it for, would be useful for you do download stuffit expander, and safari may not be to your taste so may also be useful to download another web browser such as firefox or opera. Microsoft office 2008 will also be useful addition to any mac, works well with office 2007 on pc.
    5) Very easy to ajust, took me next to no time.

6. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

All I will say about "adjusting" to a new OS is this.

I used Windows since NT 3.0 came out and got a MacBook in 2008, every single moment of using the MacBook and exploring it inside and out I had a big smile on my face. Things work the way your brain works. iCal for instance. In Windows if I wanted to change the date of an event on my calender I would think "ok, select it, select the date, delete the number and put in the new date" With the Mac, I started thinking naturally, I just said "I'd drag the event from 1 day to another on the calender" BOOM, done.

So the first rule of switching, STOP THINKING like a complex machine! You've just switched from manual to automatic, let it flow let yourself go, slow and low that is the tempo, right?

Intuitive is an understatement ;)