Looking to buy a MBP or rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by clancypants, Aug 3, 2012.

1. clancypants macrumors newbie

I'm starting up at a media school in the near future and am looking at purchasing a new laptop. I was wondering if anyone here knew of any issues when running UDK, Unity, or Maya on a boot camped MBP or rMBP. Those the primary software suites I'll be running on Windows and I just want to cover my bases before I spend a couple thousand dollars, you know?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

2. Ryukouki, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

Ryukouki macrumors regular

I haven't had any issues with those software. I'm using Maya on Bootcamp and it runs decently enough but it lacks a bit in intensive work. And I'm actually selling my MBP with a 256 GB SSD and 8GB RAM, interested? Beats paying a lot of money! :p Shoot me a message.

EDIT: You can also use Maya on mac and it works perfectly fine. The only limitation on Maya for windows is that the team isn't exactly developing for UNIX binaries, so you are short on that aspect. :p

3. clancypants thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response, Ryukouki. I appreciate the offer but with a student discount and all that I think I'll pick one up from Apple directly if I decide to take that route.

4. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

Those programs will work perfectly fine. I ran UDK, Maya, and MudBox on a 2007 iMac :eek:. The only program that struggled was mudbox since my iMac lacked vram. The macbook pro has 1gb which is plenty for what you do. I just bought my retina macbook pro for school and the GPU is a beast. Runs games really well.

5. Ryukouki macrumors regular

No worries! If you want a speedy piece that's about brand new, at a good discounted price give me a shout! :)