looking to buy a mouse for mbp.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nehas91, Sep 7, 2010.

1. nehas91 macrumors member

Hi, I'm looking to buy a mouse to use with my MBP 15". I'm basically going to be using it in my dorm room for college related things, and also for terragen/photoshop. I went to the store to try to get a feel for different mice on the market right now and I really liked the feel of the Logitech Marathon Mouse (the logitech anywhere mouse seemed kind of small- I have long skinny hands) but I've also been looking online and a lot of people have good reviews about the Logitech VX Nano. I don't know how the nano feels because I can't find it in the stores anywhere. Which one should I purchase, the Logitech Marathon Mouse or the Logitech VX nano. BTW I'm right handed if that makes any difference and I will also be switching between Mac OS and Windows.

2. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

I'd recommend looking at a regular sized mouse, not a laptop mouse. With longer hands, you'll likely be more comfortable with a larger form factor. I have teeny hands, so a desktop mouse is almost too large for me sometimes. Ergo, I use a Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000 with my MacBook.

In any case, I digress. I'd give a look to Razer mice, as they are extremely high quality and very comfortable. They ARE built generally as gaming mice, but the build quality makes them nice for all around use. Take a look at the Orochi. It IS a notebook mouse so it has a smaller form factor, but it's still generally larger than what you'd find from other manufacturers.

If you would prefer the larger form factor, I can't recommend the Mamba enough. It's on the higher price range, but it is a FANTASTIC piece of hardware. I guarantee it's not something that will be replaced for a very long time.

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I love the VX Nano. It's small, definitely a "portable" mouse (I keep it in my briefcase with the laptop), so if you're not a fan of small mice you might steer clear. For the record, my hands are VERY large, but the size is fine with me.

The scroll wheel is my favorite feature - the "frictionless" roller makes scrolling soooooo much easier.

Oh, and the tiny dongle means you can just leave it plugged in. :cool:

4. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

The vx nano has been replaced by the MX anywhere mouse which I feel is a more sturdy mouse with better feel and that great unifying receiver and dark field technology. Can't really go wrong with it. It works on virtually every surface.

The marathon mouse is a remake of the VX revolution which is my favorite mouse of all time. I love that mouse because it is specially molded for right handed people and it is the most comfortable mouse I have ever held...and I have held a lot.

Both mice are great for small to medium size hands, with the anywhere mouse being a true travel mouse. The marathon I would use at a desk or if you really value comfort. Right now my favorite combination is a hacked vx revolution with a nano receiver. It's got the perfect button set for me, and it is the right size for me. Bigger desktop mice like the MX performance are too big for my hands and the buttons are out of reach of my fingers.

I wouldn't go for the orochi due to reviews of that 1-2 second lag when the mouse has been sitting idle for awhile. That is the sole reason why I didn't get it. It is a tiny bugger though too. I have also read about issues with the mamba mouse - in terms of jumpy mouse movements at rest. When the mouse is sitting still you can see the mouse pointer on your screen wiggle. That is the sole reason why I didn't get the mamba too haha. Wish those razer mice didn't have these issues otherwise I would be all over them.

5. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

I have long skinny hands too, and I'm using the MX Anywhere (the Nano's successor, identical size/shape except that the back/forward buttons have been moved to the thumb position, which is an improvement IMO) just fine. It obviously depends on how you prefer to hold a mouse, each mouse is different. If you want a mouse that's basically "a recliner for your hand" then obviously the MX Anywhere is not the way to go, you kind of nudge it around with your fingertips which gives very good precision and speed once you get the hang of it.

You could go with the M555b as well... Bluetooth, narrower but longer and taller than the Anywhere, feels closer to a full sized mouse. No back/forward buttons though. I personally configured it so that tilting the scroll wheel left/right was mapped to back/forward, you lose horizontal scroll though so it's your call. There's a non-BT silver version as well, the V550 I think it's called. The battery life on that one is mental. When I bought mine it said 400 days left (2xAA), I thought it was a joke but they lasted about 10 months with heavy daily usage. None of the other Logitech mice I mentioned come close.

6. NiGoosHii macrumors newbie

7. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

[​IMG]

Last night I took the batteries out of my $69 Apple Magic Mouse and gave them back to my $40 Logitech V470 bluetooth mouse. I got tired of fingers inadvertantly touching the Magic Mouse sending browser sessions scrolling out of control at high speed. I got tired of having no middle button. What makes matters worse is the pinch gestures only ever work in Safari which I never use. So I'm putting up with the complexity of multi touch without the benefits of multitouch. The Apple provided "lithium" everready max batteries finally gave out after 3 months use. Meanwhile the NiMh batteries I had been using in the logitech still had a bit of juice though it had been sitting there all the time I used the Magic Mouse.

Things came to a head when I had about 15 preview windows open, one of which had an 1116 page pdf file which was balky to navigate. I grew frustrated with the complexity of navigating two monitors filled with 2 dozen windows jumping back and forth between tasks and sometimes missing the window I intended to foreground and picking the wrong one. Of course, having to constantly think about what my other fingers were doing was no fun either.

I like Apple keyboards, but Logitech and Microsoft both offer better options than any available Apple pointing device. It's way past the return period so I guess I'll put mine up on ebay.

8. Motliest Crue macrumors regular

I am using the Marathon mouse and love it. If you keep an eye out in the Staples or BB weekly flyer you can find it for 39.99.

I use the Marathon mouse for basic web browsing, Gimp, and Starcraft 2.

I am actually waiting for it to go on sale again so I can pick one up for my GF and one for my office.

9. Motliest Crue macrumors regular

The Marathon Mouse is on sale at BB for 29.99 this week 9/19

10. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

i love my microsoft arch mouse , the only microsoft product i honestly can recommend that works flawless on the Mac certainly lies good in the hand and folds together when not used and the batteries usually last me about 4 month + before they need recharging and i use the mouse daily , but i fold it when i dont use it then its switched off , different colors available too, mine is white silver and ideal if you have long thin fingers , because often complained is the side button who supposed to be difficult to reach , but i can reach with my thump without any problem

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2333230,00.asp

11. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

I have a bunch of "mice"... a really old Targus optical mouse, 2 iHome nano's, logitech LX8 (wave keyboard set), iHome optical, mInnovations explorer mouse, mInnovations travel mouse (too small), MS Blue Trac explorer mouse (great on blankets with the HTPC in the bedroom) and a MS arch which has become my favorite "travel" mouse!