Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaagat111

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2005
St. Louis, MO
So are there any mice out there that would be suggested over the mighty.

I am looking for a wireless one.

Any suggestions? thanks, alex

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Microsoft. Honestly, Microsoft makes the best quality mice. Logitech is pretty good too, but I've found MS mice to be a lot more comfortable and smoother.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Hey,

Get a Logitech MX Revolution(I got mine on ebay for 30$) It is the most comfortable mouse I've found!!!

IMcD23

Oh man I couldn't agree more with this advice. I took delivery of my own Logitech MX Revolution and it is by far the finest mouse I've ever used! It is indeed comfortable AND functionally superior with buttons and wheel in perfect placement. It also tracks extremely accurately and seems to move smoothly on almost any surface.

JSchwage

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2006
Rochester, NY
If you're looking for a BT wireless mouse go for the Logitech V470, I can't fault it.
That's actually what I'm going to get. My current wireless USB mouse has a receiver that's so big that it's hard to plug anything in the USB port next to it on my MacBook. Also, Bluetooth mice are great for the MacBook since it only has two USB ports to begin with.

MST

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2007
Surrey, UK
I know what you're saying about cumbersome receivers; my Sister has a wireless mouse and the receiver is so large that it makes it very hard to access the other USB port, even plugging the power adaptor in is difficult, and then there's the risk of catching the receiver when you move the system and breaking it off inside the port.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Get the Microsoft 5000 Bluetooth Notebook mouse. Got mine it's really nice works well never disconnects and it's sensitive. although that logitech looks nice too.

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
For wired I use a Logitech MX518. Righties only though. :p

If you are going to get a logitech mouse keep in mind that their mac drivers are awful.

This is true…but USB Overdrive pretty much makes up for it.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
For wired I use a Logitech MX518. Righties only though. :p

This is true…but USB Overdrive pretty much makes up for it.

true...
usb overdrive and steermouse are good generic drivers that work great...
it is personal preference I guess which solution someone prefers...for me it was steermouse.

CalPolyMBP

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
i second that vote for the logitech v470. i just picked one up after a long discussion with myself as to what was the best mouse for my needs and my SR MBP. it's bluetooth is smooth and stays connected while the thing actually clicks as opposed to the mightymouse. it's also a little cheaper ($60 compared to $70) than the mightymouse and a little more portable as it even comes with a small pouch for carrying it in.

jaminthejar

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
I really need advice on this as well! Btw I am on a 2ghz CoreDuo Macbook Pro 15in.

Maybe around a year ago, I bought the Logitech V270 Bluetooth Notebook mouse. Size was fine, controlled fine, scroll wheel worked fine...no complaints with the mouse itself. The mouse, however, had the normal 'sleep mode' to conserve battery life. This sleep mode would kick in WAY too soon, and I would CONSTANTLY have to 'wake it up' and there would always be lag time in the response when going back to the mouse. Logitech doesn't offer any configuration software with the mouse, and even something like SteerMouse couldn't turn off this feature (or tweak it).

So, I now have a USB hub, and USB space isn't an issue (it's nice to have things plugged in and out of my way by the way. I'm now looking for a good RF mouse to use and am completely lost. Staples was closed tonight so I browsed Target, and they had the MX600 Laser Mouse from Logitech, and the Microsoft Laser Mouse 5000. Both, I felt, were too big for what I needed (I guess I have smaller hands).

So really what I need is a mouse that will...
1.) Work well with programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, and the occasional game (I'm currently finally playing through Half Life 2 for the first time).
2.) Not go to sleep every 10 seconds
3.) Has a 'ticking' scroll wheel (as opposed to the MS 5000's 'smooth' wheel)
4.) Isn't too big.
5.) Doesn't have a ridiculous amount of space set aside for the scroll wheel (I tend to keep my fingers closer to the wheel...the Logitech MX600 felt good in that respect).

As a point of reference, I'm currently using this mouse from years ago:
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-K81-00004-Optical-Mouse-Blue/dp/B000068MP2/ref=pd_bbs_12?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1199255320&sr=8-12
I think it's very comfortable and doesn't have any obnoxious curves or indents or anything.

If anyone has any advice I would REALLY appreciate it...I didn't want to just make a new thread since I'm sure this is asked all the time.

PS. I have used the Mighty Mouse before, and while I really like the layout of the buttons and everything, I cannot get used to its right clicking mechanics. I use them at school a lot and too often a right click registers as a regular click. A lot of the mice at school also have messed up scroll balls. A nice product but it's just not for me.

JGShort

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2007
Near Houston, TX
Apple Mighty Mouse

PS. I have used the Mighty Mouse before, and while I really like the layout of the buttons and everything, I cannot get used to its right clicking mechanics. I use them at school a lot and too often a right click registers as a regular click. A lot of the mice at school also have messed up scroll balls. A nice product but it's just not for me.

I use an Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse with my MacBook laptop and the USB model with my Mac Pro desktop. I have also used the earlier Apple wireless one-button mouse, as well as various models by Logitech and Kensington. At work, I use a Microsoft two-button scrolling mouse or a Dell, both connected via USB. Of all the mice I have used since the original Macintosh Mouse with the roller ball that liked to pick up all the lint and dust and crud from my desk (let's see, how old does that make me now?) I think the Apple Mighty Mouse is my favorite of all that I have tried. I like its four buttons and the scroll ball, especially now that I can use it with Mac OS X Leopard and Spaces. Yes, it took a week or so to train my hand, but everytime I have to go back to the standard MS or Dell mouse and Windows, I say to myself, thank you Steve and your team for a superior design. :)

I guess it is all a matter of personal preference, and I can see where it could be a problem to use it with a public computer where users tend to have dirty hands, but where I have the choice, I like the Apple Mighty Mouse for its comfort, functionality, and compatibility with the Mac OS-X User Interface. :apple:

GregE

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
I went with the Logitech S530 keyboard and mouse combo. I like it alot!!!!!

jaminthejar

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
Yeah I just bought the V450 RF Laser mouse. So far so good. The only thing is that the Logitech Control Center is still unusable because not only does it rarely detect my mouse, but it gets rid of all my Growl notifications. Everything else is pretty great. I'm just wondering if the mouse is too small for my liking. I'm coming from an old wired Microsoft mouse, so I'm used to mice like that and the Mighty Mouse where your hand kind of cups the whole thing (which I honestly prefer). With this mouse, I kind of use my fingertips more. If I think I dno't like it by Friday I'll probably take it back. What I wish I had was a mouse that worked basically exactly like this but maybe a liiiiitle bigger without the concave curves on the side of the mouse. I don't want to claw my mouse if I can help it.

On the other hand, all the other mice at Staples were just too big. I'm sure the VX Revolution is a great mouse but it's too big and I don't need all those buttons.

absurdio

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2003
RI, Chi, and/or NY.
MS Wireless Laser Mouse 8000. There's a thread on getting it to work, but I don't even know if that's necessary since M$ released the requisite Mac drivers for it. At any rate: It's bluetooth (and works dongle-free with my MBP's internal bluetooth), it's laser (optical is so 2006), i've got its extra buttons governing expose (which works very elegantly), and it matches my mbp very nicely.

...now if only microsoft hadn't made it...

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I would go to a store and try them out in your hand. Hands are different sizes. What's comfortable / perfect for one person might be too big / too small for someone else.

Personally for photoshop and activities that need precise mouse control (games), I use a corded mouse such as Logitech MX400, or get a wacom for photoshop.

You might want to look for gaming mouse, as they are usually high performance, no sleep.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.