Looking to buy a new 24" iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by merccyyy, Jul 30, 2009.

1. merccyyy macrumors newbie

merccyyy

Hey guys im a new college student and am looking to take advantage of the student discount for a new iMac. I already have a macbook pro but I do alot of photoshop and editing overall in which im interested in buying a iMac. I was wondering with anyone who has one of the new iMac's that if they play HD videos very well no matter what codec (.h264, mkv) it may be. I do understand that the 9400m is a integrated graphics processor which uses the processor and ram, I will not play games at all just play hidef videos as well as edit. I would like to make sure with someone who has one that there is no lag of any sort or any problems with hidef videos.

Cliffnotes:
    - New iMac 24", does it play hidef videos well, wont be playing any games just dont want any lag if I were to play hidef movies like it is on my macbook pro.

would me building a pc be a bit more worth it? I would like to stick with a mac but if the iMac is sufficient with playing hd videos and myself being able to edit them would be great as well.

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Codec Concerns

Get Perian, Flip4Mac, and VLC. Between those you can just about play vinyl.

3. oculus42 macrumors 6502

When you say hi-def, do you mean 720p or 1080p? I've never tried playing 1080p content on my MacBook Pro (2.4 GHz, 4GB RAM), but I have watched 720p content from various sources without issue.

4. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

It should play these fine using the CPU alone. It's a powerful CPU and while 1080p is processor intensive it should be fast enough.

The 9400 uses system ram but it doesn't use the CPU any more than a separate dedicated GPU would. It's a different kettle of fish than the GMA used in older Macbooks.

5. merccyyy thread starter macrumors newbie

merccyyy

I mean 1080p content mostly as thats all that I work with. I have a older mbp with the 8600gt and its quite laggy with 1080p content and I cant seem to fix the issue with that. I do alot of premiere, final cut pro and photoshop work so as long as its suitable to play 1080p content with a breeze and those applications I would be happy to buy the iMac.

6. Moriarty macrumors 6502

The iMac should be able to handle it... my Macbook (2.2 GHz, Intel X3100) can play 1080p flawlessly on my 1680*1050 external display (while running in dual display mode too). I think I remember reading about some bug with 1080p on the Macbook Pros... check it out on Google and you might find out why.

Don't worry, the 9400m is easily powerful enough. Plus, Snow Leopard will support hardware decoding of video to take the load off the processor.

However more is always better, you can always get a faster iMac if you can afford it. You never know what sorts of applications will use OpenCL in future, and the NVIDIA GT120 and GT130 have more power to spare than the 9400m.

7. merccyyy thread starter macrumors newbie

merccyyy

ya I just cant really understand, im playing flash based videos that are hd maybe that could be a issue from vimeo and youtube, but I still have the issue when I watch via quicktime pro.

I would love to buy the iMac but looking at the free ipod touch as well as a free printer doesnt sound bad but a refurbished one wouldnt sound bad either minus the free itouch as I have a iphone but I was going to sell the itouch. pretty much a big issue since I just want to make sure it would be suitable for me for a while unless I build a windows pc but I still have my mbp and going back and forth would just be more work. thanks for the help guys, anyone with a new gen imac able to help me by chance?

8. opera57 macrumors 6502

The processor will be powerful enough to encode the video on its own. The 9400m is actually quite a capable chip anyway, and I'm sure snow leopard will be able to take much advantage of it! [​IMG]

9. merccyyy thread starter macrumors newbie

merccyyy

ya I actually have been thinking and might spring in for the extra GT120 from refurb.