Looking to buy a new Mac, Advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DrPiDude, Jun 15, 2012.

1. DrPiDude macrumors newbie

I would really like to buy a new Mac this summer. I currently have a 2006 model Mac Mini running OSX Lion. I have upgraded the RAM to 4GB, but it still seems a little slow. I mostly use my PC now, but I really prefer Macintosh computers.

I would probably use the computer primarily for Photoshop. I would have multiple windows and images open at once. I would also use it for occasional video editing (with iMovie) and occasional gaming. I don't really play graphic intensive games, when I do play computer games its usually things like Minecraft or flash games, but it would be a bonus if I could play games like Team Fortress 2.

Portability isn't really an issue for me. A laptop would be nice, but so would a desktop. Regardless to which computer I buy, I will probably hook up an external monitor, because I like to have a big screen for photo editing and design work.

I am on a very limited budget (who isn't?) and I will probably buy a used Mac.

I've been shopping around, and I'm thinking about getting a PowerMac or a Mac Pro, but I'm really open to anything.

One last thing: I plan to update to OSX Lion (or possibly Mountain Lion eventually) and so I need a computer that can handle that. Thanks for any help you can give!

2. randomhkkid macrumors member

I suggest a mac mini when they get the ivy bridge refresh. They are powerful enough to do some video and photo editing and if you get a model with a dedicated graphics card gaming isn't out of the question, but even the integrated gpu is decent.

3. ggibson913 macrumors 6502a

ggibson913

Any Mac will Do

You really cant go wrong with an iMac but truthfuilly any of Apple's laptops or desktops will work for you. I have a 13" Macbook Pro (last model) and an external monitor for photo editing and that combo works great. If you want to save some $$$ I suggest the refurb store. I don't really think you need a Pro model. If the most graphics intensive task is photoshop that would be kind of like putting a thumb tack in with a jack hammer. Hopefully this helps good luck.

4. atlanticza macrumors 6502a

atlanticza

A refurbished iMac will probably do the job very well.