Looking to Buy A New MacBook Pro 17'' From MacMall - Advice Needed Please

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gobogie, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Gobogie macrumors newbie

Gobogie

So I'm primarily buying this for the following reasons:
    - Photography is my hobby and I need portability and a large screen (I just turned 40 and need bifocols lol).
    - Want the Mac as I'm finding I really like Apple products and their quaility
    - I think those are the biggest reasons

Questions:
    1) MacMall states they can customize my purchase with more RAM and a SSD hard drive but it is aftermarket
    2) Will these upgrades cause problems with Apples Manufactures warranty?
    3) For the money do the SSD's make that big of a difference? Keeping in mind I'm not made of money and will be using it for a photography hobby.
    4) MacMall is offering 6 months same as cash
    5) How good of a retailer is MacMall? I've never dealt with them? If for some odd reason I had to return, are they a difficult store to deal with?
    6) I left this one for last for a reason... Am I crazy for buying a one year old product (albeit new) just to get a 17'' screen? Please be kind :D

Thank You In Advance,
    Cory

2. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

MacMall is ok, it's an authorized Apple reseller.
    If you are looking to save $$$:

Check the Apple Online Store for a refurbished MBP 17"?

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

they are as good as new and since you're buying it directly from Apple if anything goes wrong they'll take it back.
    If you buy it from MacMall you'll have to deal with them first.

SSD/HDD and RAM are user upgradable parts which means you won't void the warranty if you decide to install aftermarket components such as 16 Gb of RAM or a new SSD, the Samsung 830 is a very good choice and the same make and model installed by apple on the MBPs as an Build to Order option.

Replacing SSD and RAM is really easy and you can do it yourself, you'll save
    $$$$. MacMall would probably charge you $100 for a 15 min. job you can do at home.
    the website www.ifixit.com offer several video tutorials for almost any Mac.

if you don't need the new USB 3.0 ports and better graphic and slightly faster processor go for it.
    In the end you can enjoy your hobby and your new computer saving money and having the large screen you need so you're making the right decision.

3. Gobogie thread starter macrumors newbie

Gobogie

4. MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

definitely the Apple store where u know its been gone through twice over and parts replaced that were defected... :D

5. Gobogie thread starter macrumors newbie

Gobogie

Thank you so much again for all the insight here.

Here's where I stand:
    - I am fortunate that I work 5 mins from an Apple Store, so I'm going to go over and see if I can do a Retina vs. nonRetina comparison.
    - Based on that decision I will either do the refurb 17'' or a new 15'' rMBP from Apple.

I'll post back later today (probably) with what I find.

Cory

6. MrMacBookPro, Sep 26, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2012

MrMacBookPro macrumors 6502

I think the non Retina would be better choice IMO... The Retina display doesn't have a DVD drive and seems limited.. Sure the screen is nice but thats what your paying for... Check out the refurbs and i think you'll be happy...

Report Back

Screen shot 2012-09-26 at 10.49.38 AM

7. Gobogie thread starter macrumors newbie

Gobogie

I really appreciate the input you & Max have made on my purchase delima...

I put the order in yesterday for a 17'' MacBook Pro (refurb). 2.5Ghz Quad-core i7.

I'll post back with a review of the computer after I receive it. Again - a lot of money for just a computer but if my previous Apple products have proven anything to me, so far they have been worth it and I've 'gotten what I've paid for' ;)

Cory

8. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I really like my "new" 17"

1920x1200 non-retnia is outstanding!

9. Gobogie thread starter macrumors newbie

Gobogie

Good to know ;)

Have family friends from Hamburg and my car came from Stuttgart :p

We're almost neighbors :apple:

10. SlyMac macrumors 6502

Purchased upgraded macbooks from MacMall before and never had any warranty issues come up when at an apple store.

MacMall=Authorized reseller.

11. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

The issue is that I'm American married to a Bavarian, I work in Stuttgart but live half way between there and Munich and prefer my cars made Munich. The goal is to work in Garmisch though. My wife and I just bought and apartment in Mallorca so if I can bounce between Frankonia, Garmisch, and Mallorca I'll be more than happy with life..:D

12. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

So proud!

I'm so proud to know all you 17" MacBook Pro users out there totally enjoying them and maxing them out! Last night I was taking my midnight walk around town with friends after coffee and noticed this huge boat of a gorgeous muscle car, next to it was a fancy 2012 something rather and I thought of the 17" MacBook Pro next to the retina macbook. Yeah....... It was a good feeling!

----------

Looks like the 2.5Ghz 17" MacBook Pro refurbs are all sold out!!!! YEAH!

----------

Looks like the 2.5Ghz 17" MacBook Pro refurbs are all sold out!!!! YEAH!

13. Gobogie thread starter macrumors newbie

Gobogie

Pickup up my refurb MBP 17'' from FedEx yesterday. I have yet to turn it on (work is killing me), but as far as fit and finish is looks new.

I'll post back as I get it fired up. I know there was someone who posted that their refurb looked a bit banged up, so I just wanted to post back and confirm it's basically new looking.

Thanks Again,
    Cory

14. Gobogie, Oct 4, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2012

Gobogie thread starter macrumors newbie

Gobogie

Update:
    I took it to work today and fired it up. Very happy with the fit and finish. The only laptops I have every purchase (going all the way back to college) have been HP's. I've always been happy with them but at some point their lifespan is about 4-5 years and if your lucky 7. I guess I'm a tight wad bc as ginger as I treat my stuff I thing 4-5 years is not good but I know I'm in the minority hear. Hopefully Apple treats me better!:apple:

First impressions:
    - the older I get the more noise bothers me... this thing is very quite. I can barely hear the thing. I can't imagine replacing the HD with a SSD and it being quieter lol!
    - this thing just plain ole looks sharp has a tac!
    - I know there are 2 different screens out there, not exactly sure which one this is? The colors are very nice!
    - This is my first Mac so there is a bit of a learning curve on how to use all the software buttons, but overall I'm not having that much trouble :roll eyes:
    - I think the little square outlet thing you plug into the wall (assuming you don't need a longer cord) is the coolest thing!
    - I fired this thing up in my office at work and talk about people ogling over it. You would have thought I had a bar of gold on my desk.
    - I did the software update that was recommended. Was about 2.5Gb. Did that update include Mountain Lion? Or do I get that somewhere else?

Need Recommendations for the following:
    - What do you recommend in a a clear plastic/like cover that won't add much weight and won't destroy the look of this Adonis? Just to keep it scratch free.
    - This is for a photography hobby so I need a backpack recommendation. I saw a couple on Amazon but weren't thrilled with them... looking for quality and don't want to go much over $100.
    - What's the easiest way to transfer all my music from my old HP to my new Mac? It's all legal :) and I have all the CD's in plastic tubs in the basement, but don't want to have to recopy all of it again... took like 4 days the first time. I have all the music backed up on my iPhone currently if that helps?
    - Is Aperture the most recommended photo program? I'm not a pro ;) but want a decent program to use. I have a Nikon DSL.

You guys have been supper helpful and I can't tell you how much I have benefitted from everybody's advice from this forum.

Thank You in Advance,
    Cory

15. colinwil macrumors regular

- I really wouldn't bother with a plastic sleeve. My 17" MBP is 3.5 years old now, I lug it round everywhere, and it still looks as good as new - apart from shiny keys!

- I use an Incase CL55301 backpack - highly recommended.

- Hopefully your Macbook & HP are on the same network, so you can just use that to copy your music. First copy it to something like yourname/Music/Masters. Then, when you import it into iTunes, make sure you have the 'Copy files to iTunes Media folder when adding to library' option turned off. (on the Advanced tab in iTunes preferences).

- Aperture rocks, both as a picture librarian program, and an image processing/enhancing/digital darkroom program. It doesn't however do image editing. Pixelmator is very good (on the app store) for that if you don't want to go the expensive Photoshop route

16. Gobogie thread starter macrumors newbie

Gobogie

- Just downloaded Mountain Lion ($20) and Aperture ($80). I'm still in the office at work so I have wi-fi and I'm taking full advantage of it ;)

- Got a PM to look at Lowepro backpack. Only problem is they only go up to 15.4'' which is a total bummer as they look killer! Gunna keep searching:rolleyes:

- I called Apple about the laptop only charging up to 96-97%. They said to run it down under 10% and then recharge. They said this is not unheard off but not too normal. Tech said run it down, recharge and go from there. He said if it won't charge all the way to take it to an Apple store and they will swap out the battery or ship me a new one. Again I'm spoiled... the store is literally 5 mins from where I work.

- Just noticed that the mail program takes for ever to load... is that normal? It was actually worse prior to install Mountain Lion today and I've heard that's not exactly the norm either lol.

- Battery is down to 12% so we will soon find out...

Thanks again for all the support I've received!

Cory

17. vpro macrumors 65816

vpro

how?

how do you look into the system preferences of your macbook pro to tell the speed of your hard drive?? if it's 5200 or 7200rpm?

i got a 'new' late 2011 17" MacBook PRO from Best Buy online, what is all supposed to be in the box and should the box be wrapped in plastic inside the shipping box, should it have the apple stickers too???

thanks

18. eron macrumors 6502

Mountain Lion should be free for you.
    You can possibly sign up here: http://www.apple.com/osx/uptodate/
    Then call Apple Support to refund the $20.

When you first fire up Mail, it will normally load all your old mailboxes, folders etc. Assuming you used an IMAP or similar with tons of old emails.

Anyway, when you are after more speed, upgrade to a Samsung SSD. When you want more speed, and to multi-task more, you can get your ram upgrade up to 16GB.

19. Gobogie thread starter macrumors newbie

Gobogie

Hmm I did not know that about getting it free. Can you tell I'm on the learning curve.

That makes sense about the mail loading

Yeah I'm gunna play around with it and use Aperture a bit and see if what I'm doing will require more speed. It's all just a hobby at this point so I don't exactly need blazing speed if you know what I mean. That being said - I'm totally salivating over that new Samsung SSD :D:D:D

20. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Macmall sells on ebay, even cheaper than what they do on their store online. I got a feb 2011 17" 2.2 for 1650$ this past march.

Just make sure they send you an invoice, so you can fix the apple warranty (easy just send it to apple).

Great savings, brand new box, and no issues with the laptop.