Looking to buy a new Macbook Pro and need advice on performance

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by maxeman, Jan 14, 2010.

1. maxeman macrumors newbie

I am looking to buy a macbook pro and was wondering if the 2.53ghz 13" is going to be sufficient enough to run upcoming Blizzard games.. D3. I have never bought an apple computer or laptop, so any advice is much needed.

2. Nano2k macrumors regular

First Macs are not the best thing for games. No directX etc, so only OpenGL and Blizzard develops more the DirectX (Windows) than Open GL (multi-platform). I have played WOW on the same hardware in Windows and OSX and it runs and looks better in Windows than it ever will in OSX.

The 13" only has a Nvidia 9400 gfx card which is kind of medium-low end so you are not going to run WOW or D3 with full details etc...

To sum it all up, if you are mainly a gamer, don't buy a Mac.

3. Cboss macrumors 6502

Although many games run much better on Windows than Mac, Blizzard is better at most when it comes to supporting their Mac base. While the current 13" MBPs will be able to run most games with at least medium settings, I would suggest waiting a month or two and seeing if the upcoming MBP refresh brings a better graphics card. You could also jump up to the 15" MBP to get a better graphics card. (However, note that the low end 15" only has the 9400, same as the 13". The two upper 15" have the 9600)

4. maxeman thread starter macrumors newbie

With regaurds to waiting, I have done a lot of research and read about the new MBPs coming out. Following the announcement, how long until they are available?

I would not be buying a MBP for gaming. But, if I invest, I want to be sure I can at least run Diablo 3 when it arrives.

5. Cboss macrumors 6502

As mac4me123 said, any Mac for sale now will should run Diablo 3 just fine. Heck, I should be able to run it on my 2 year old MB with crappy Intel graphics.

But, if you are ok waiting a month or so, then the new MBPs should be available within a day or two of their announcement.

6. Habitus macrumors 6502a

Habitus

Your question is ambiguous, at best. Can the 2.53GHz MacBook Pro handle current games efficiently? Yes. The 13" MBP has the needed graphics and processor, not to mention a wonderful display! However, no one knows system requirements of unreleased games.

Don't worry; the 2.53GHz MBP won't let you down! When are you looking to purchase? :D

Habitus :apple:

7. hackia macrumors newbie

macbook is great

macbook is great for video editing and so much more, so processing a video game should be a simple thing.

not sure, dont play much on mine but video editing is a snap and unlike my pc's it dont crash!

8. maxeman thread starter macrumors newbie

I was looking to purchase after I feel like I have researched Apple enough in order to make the transition. (never owned an Apple) Saying that, that time has been reached and I would like to purchase soon. I am reluctant to do so now because of the MBP updates shortly around the corner.

9. XxEjGxX macrumors regular

don't worry about speed for blizzard games, they run fine on most things under 2 years old [​IMG]

10. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Just wait, there is little evidence that suggests that there won't be a notebook update sometime soon...

11. maxeman thread starter macrumors newbie

I talked to an Apple rep today, he said mid February for the update. I am definitely going to wait... I will probably get the 13" 2.53