Looking to buy a new MacBook...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by shadow., Sep 15, 2015.

1. shadow., Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015

shadow. macrumors newbie

I've been a Windows user my whole life, but I would like to buy a MacBook for its portability, OS, and battery life (my current Windows laptop is pretty heavy and coding is difficult on it). I'm a typical college computer science major, so I will be using it for coding (including code compiling and remote ssh'ing), Spotify (which I'm already familiar with so I don't plan on using iTunes, and no downloading), word processing, web browsing, and at most maybe one virtual machine or light (not 3D) photoshopping. I will use my Windows laptop for gaming and anything heavy, so this is really just going to serve as a second laptop.

I've been looking at refurbished laptops (trying to save money... typical college student ;) ) and my biggest question is how much RAM and hard disk space I need for doing this sort of stuff (and whether an Intel Core Duo 2 would be enough or if I should stick with Intel Core i5/i7). Currently I'm looking at a MacBook Air (2012 edition) with 8gb RAM, 128GB flash memory model with 13" screen and i5 processor, for a little future proofing (I plan to use it for maybe two or three years) for a cost of ~$575. Is this okay or can I cut down on specs for better cost or should I add more for better performance?

The laptop is coming from OWC computers so if anyone has any insight on them that would be helpful too.

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

If you want good battery life, you will want to go with a 2013 model or later. They made vast improvements over the 2012 model. The 2013/2014 models are pretty similar, and the 2015 ones have Broadwell over Haswell CPU/GPU's. For the cost I'm sure you can find a decent used/refurbished 13" 2013 MacBook Air, preferably with 8GB of RAM. Though 4GB will suffice for what you plan on doing. The i5 should do just fine as well.

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I have the 11" version of that model, and I wouldn't get anything less if you are wanting to make it last for two or three more years. It probably is good enough to last a few more years, I haven't seen anything in new models to make me want to upgrade and I'm probably sticking with this one until it dies, hopefully still a few years from now.