Looking to buy a non-retina MBP - advice needed

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by X-Men, Aug 11, 2013.

1. X-Men macrumors newbie

Hi folks,

First post here - be gentle!

I am a light user (internet, photos, word processing), but like the idea of upgradability and some hard drive capacity, so am not drawn to the MB air or the more expensive MBP retina version, which I do not feel I need.

I need to replace the 2008 13' MBP I had been using, while no one here can see into the future, I am looking for some input on whether I should purchase the currently available non-retina MBP while it is still available, or wait for the rumoured October release of the new MBP with the new OS and the Haswell chip.

While the increase in battery life sounds good to me, I do wonder if the non-retina will be phased out, leaving only the more expensive retina MBP's as an option. If the non-retinas are retained as an option, I think I should wait, but if not, my middle ground needs may be forced in one direction or the other unless I resort to buying refurbished.

Any advice from more experienced Apple users would be appreciated.

Thanks!

2. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

As usual one has to say that you need to take any recommendations with a grain of salt because no one here knows Apple's plans. You will get differing opinions.

Here's mine. Buy the cMBP now.

I think it's unlikely the cMBP will get Haswell. I also think it's unlikely it will see a price drop because Apple is trying to steer customers towards the retina MacBook Pros and MacBook Airs.

I don't have an idea of when the cMBP's will be discontinued but don't think it will be this fall. But why risk it if there is no Haswell and no price drop?

My 2¢.

3. maxosx macrumors 68020

I could not agree more. You've nailed it. After being a loyal Apple customer of two decades, I believe that the wonderful conventional non retina MBP is about to be killed off very soon.

In fact I'm buying another one on Tuesday, that's how certain I am. Oh sure I will probably be criticized for not waiting till the last minute for a sale price, but it's worth far more to me to get it done while I can still get exactly the configuration I want from Apple online.

4. X-Men thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the feedback! I am leaning towards biting the bullet and getting a cMBP in the next few weeks, as for my purposes the retina is not worth the extra cost (and being the light user I am, still like the idea of having an optical drive to drop in a DVD for the kids to watch).
    Btw, Does apple typically provide the newest OS (in this case, Mavericks) free of charge to recent purchasers when the purchase comes just before the release of the new OS? I do not have enough experience with Apple to know if this is a hassle or if Apple makes it painless.

5. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

I really hope the cMBP gets an update.

my loyal 2009 13" mbp has died and I desperately need a replacement. and the retina is outside my price range

I really need the storage that a hard disc offers over a ssd

6. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

Yes they do. But it's usually for Mac purchases made from the day the new OS release date is announced until Macs start shipping with the new OS. Apple hasn't released a more specific availability date for Mavericks so we are not yet in that window.

7. 858672 macrumors newbie

I was in a similar situation and bought the cMBP as well. Mainly because a) I still use discs and b) the Retinas seemed to have too many things going wrong with them.

Older tech, bit more stable plus I prefer the matte screen and I need more room than an SSD can provide.

8. niteflyr macrumors 6502a

The cMBP will get Haswell if it is not discontinued. It's all about battery life. The current cMbp' s will not disappear overnite if they are discontinued. Wait for the announcement. JMHO.

9. robvas macrumors 68020

They'll have to - Intel simply isn't going to keep producing the older chips. They never do.

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

11. X-Men thread starter macrumors newbie

As I mentioned in the opening thread, I am not sold on the air due to the lack of hard drive and upgradeability. While I am sure it is a great machine, I don't place a huge value on portability over power, and thus prefer the MB Pro. The ideal for me would be if the cMBpro got a Haswell update, but that does not seem likely based on what I have read in these forums, thus my dilemma.
    I really appreciate the feedback though!

12. ValSalva macrumors 68040

ValSalva

We'll see. Ivy Bridge processors should be in good supply for at least another year.

I don't think it would be that difficult to put Haswell processors in the cMBP's, it's just that Apple seems like it's done with them. They didn't get the Ivy Bridge updates that the rMBP's got in February.

13. gngan macrumors 68000

gngan

I think it's there will be haswell and new osx soon. If I were you then ill wait. Some people think that apple will kill the cMBP but I don't think so cause 13"cMBP is still the best seller. It just doesn't make sense.

Since they won't be killing cMBP, it makes sense to put the latest CPU. Just like the previous years.