Looking to buy a rMBP - need advices PLEASE :)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pbear, Mar 2, 2015.

1. pbear macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, sorry this is AGAIN a "need help before buying" post.

I'm basically looking to buy a MBP for movie production : I will do data transfer (footage into USB3 to TB2 drives/USB3 drives).
    And maybe some playback of very large 4K video files.

I was looking at a few options :

First of all I missed my chance and saw a rMBP 15inch 2.4ghz(ish) for 1900 (canadian) and didn't order it.

I've got my eyes on either another rMBP which is a 2.7 with Geforce 650M (june 2012) for 2400$ or a brand new one with maybe 2.5ghz for 2200$.

Your advices on these models? Is the Iris Pro GPU good enough? Is 2.2ghz enough for my tasks?

Thanks soooo much!!

2. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

The Iris Pro is definitely good enough for anything but heavy 3D graphics work, mainly gaming.

I'd say that the CPU and RAM are your most important factors for movie production. Bear in mind that the current MacBook Pros are faster than the equivalent 2012 models, despite lower clock speeds. It's best to compare benchmarks to get a better idea of comparative performance.

Also, don't forget that the storage is faster in the 2013/2014 models!

3. pbear thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick answer! So def. going refurbished might not be the best idea even if the specs are kinda the same right?

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

From the choices you've listed, I'd personally recommend the 2.5GHz 2014 model.

Although the 2.7GHz model from 2012 is a nice machine, the 2014 2.5GHz is actually a tiny bit faster in Geekbench 3 benchmarks, has significantly better dedicated graphics, and faster flash storage! :D

5. ano0oj macrumors 6502

is that the extent of your movie production? Just transferring files and playing large MKV files?

Either one of those laptops will work just fine, but may be worth looking to see if the 2012 has USB 3.0 which would make significant strides over USB 2.0 for transferring.

6. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

All MacBook Pros with Retina display have USB 3.0. It was introduced to the Mac lineup in 2012. :)

7. pbear thread starter macrumors newbie

8. ano0oj macrumors 6502

Good choice...it really doesn't take a lot of computing power for big MKV files with the processors that are coming out these days.

9. pbear thread starter macrumors newbie

it's not going to be MKVs.. it's R3D files for exemple.. or large MOVs.

10. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Wonderful machine. :cool: