Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

buffgrk

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Hey guys.. i currently use a incipio bombproof case for work which i find is abit too bulky, i was looking at the speck candyshells as they offer good protection and im guessing they are abit less bulkier too.. but im also looking at the pixelskin hd's.. any recommendation on the better case from speck ? thanks

i3igsmooth5769

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Now is probably the best time to pick up a speck case, seeing as they just added several new designs to their lineup. You may want to check out the new toughshell.

buffgrk

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
speck products are pretty good, the candy shell is a good product but it has its flaws i did a review on my blog, you should check it out before you dive into anything, let me know what you think.

http://weisjttechhouse.blogspot.com/2011/01/iphone-4-speck-candy-shell-case.html

pixel skin hd doesnt give as much protection.

nice review, altho i have heard if you purchase the white candyshell the scratches are not very visible, now with the new speck cases out i am not sure what to get.. i don't want something to bulky i want a mix between a nice looking case and protection for work

mpossoff

macrumors 68020
Mar 21, 2010
Philadelphia
Hey guys.. i currently use a incipio bombproof case for work which i find is abit too bulky, i was looking at the speck candyshells as they offer good protection and im guessing they are abit less bulkier too.. but im also looking at the pixelskin hd's.. any recommendation on the better case from speck ? thanks

I have a black speck candyshell for sale if you are interested.

In my opinion from using both the commuter and candyshell is in regards to drop protection the candyshell provides better drop protection. Why? because the commuters silicon especially the corners where most drops occur is not as tough as the candyshell in that regard. I'd feel more confident for drop protection with the candyshell. The commuter seemes like it would have a tendancy to mover around in the case when dropped compared to the tight fit of the candy.

However it's a trade off. The commuter offers dock and headjack port covers which provides protection but not in regards to drop protection.

What like about the candyshell is I use a leather holster case and the candyshell is more easily accessible; removing and putting back into the case than the commuter. I assume the silicon on the commuter is the cause because of 'traction' where the candy shell slides in and out nicely in and out of my primary case co case.

Last edited:

buffgrk

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
I have a black speck candyshell for sale if you are interested.

In my opinion from using both the commuter and candyshell is in regards to drop protection the candyshell provides better drop protection. Why? because the commuters silicon especially the corners where most drops occur is not as tough as the candyshell in that regard. I'd feel more confident for drop protection with the candyshell. The commuter seemes like it would have a tendancy to mover around in the case when dropped compared to the tight fit of the candy.

However it's a trade off. The commuter offers dock and headjack port covers which provides protection but not in regards to drop protection.

What like about the candyshell is I use a leather holster case and the candyshell is more easily accessible; removing and putting back into the case than the commuter. I assume the silicon on the commuter is the cause because of 'traction' where the candy shell slides in and out nicely in and out of my primary case co case.

i really dont like the look of any of the otterboxs think i might go with a white candyshell and see what happens!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.