Looking to buy a Wireless MM

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by iMacBook, Aug 22, 2007.

1. iMacBook macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

I'm lookin at buying a wireless Mighty Mouse, but some of the reviews on Apple.com are making me think twice about buying one.

Has anybody ever had problems with the wireless MM? What about the scroll ball? Any problems with that?

Is the tracking very good? Do the right clicks register correctly all the time (when you right click, does it right click and not left click)?

Oh, and is cleaning the mouse a must?

Thanks. I hope the responses are good because I really want one.

2. phillipjfry macrumors 6502a

phillipjfry

I have had some problem issues with mine, mainly I've had mine since March of this year and i'm already in the market for another MM, as a replacement. The battery power is great in them and long lasting. But the scroll is what kills me. It gets too dirty and its kinda silly to clean the nipple more often as the time goes on. I would best invest money into another mouse, just my opinion. Also, right clicking sometimes misses (especially frustrating in WoW). I hear that there was a secret revision in the apple.com/store stock and it might have better right click sensitivity. It's a risk and you may love yours and YMMV. Just, FYI, dont scroll the mouse with dirty greesey fingers. :)

3. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

I'm a pretty clean guy. I wash my hands every now and then when I'm on my MacBook.

But, when I went to look at the MM at the store.apple.com, they look different. Is it me, or did they change the color of the side buttons?

I'll wait for a couple more reviews about the MM. Thanks. :)

4. Darkenvamp macrumors member

i wasnt brave enough to pay for it,because of its little ball that is hard to control,and the billions of negative reviews about the scrool ball stop wroking in short time and the right click button as well...i honestly dont recommend it..it seem to have major issues...im waiting for Logitech's VX nano mouse though..its amazing..or you can get the regular VX or their Bluetooth mouse..just check their site www.Logitech.com ..the best company for mouses,keyboards and trackballs.

5. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

I'm kind of ifft on Logitech. I've got a wireless Logitech mouse and after a while, it just stopped clicking. I'd have to press down really hard for it to register.

Has that been fixed?

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Just putting a good word in for the MX Revolution. I just got mine today, and whoever at Logitech invented the scroll wheel is a bloody genius.

I've spent the night entertaining myself by going to really long web pages, flicking the scroll wheel and watching it go.....WHEEEEEEEE!!!!

7. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Well, here's one good review for you.

I bought my BT MM last September and aside from having to replace the included batteries after 10 months, I haven't had a single problem.

It's never lagged once, and the right clicking works perfectly for me. The key with all the MM is that your index finger can't be on the mouse when you right-click. This isn't a problem for me because that's how I naturally click.

I have the wired MM on my PowerMac because the BT version hadn't been realeased yet. I just recently took it apart to clean the tiny rollers inside the scroll ball casing. It was a fairly painless process and afterwards it scrolled just like new!

Overall, I love mine and wouldn't have any other. Of course I don't like the mice out there nowadays, theyr'e all "form fitting" and I can't stand those.

8. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

I'm curious as to how you took it apart. I thought they were really difficult to take apart?

9. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Not really. Just need a little razorblade, Google the instructions..

10. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I used this guide to help me with opening my MM. It was surprisingly easy, and only took maybe 10 minutes tops.

Inside the scroll ball casing there are four tiny little rollers that are held in place magnetically, which I thought was pretty cool. ;) Anyway, just clean the gunk off of those like you would any regular ball mouse back in the day, and put it back together. After it's back together your scrolling is as good as new.

I did this to my wired MM about three months ago and it's still scrolling beautifully.

11. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

The very last part of that guide says something about super glue.

Do you need to use superglue?

12. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Technically you don't even have to reattach the white ring around the bottom of your mouse; the one that they suggest cutting off with an exacto knife or razor blade.

But this ring is indeed attached with glue, so to get it back on to your mouse you would need to glue it, unless there's some other way you can think of.

Two tiny drops of super glue does the trick though, and in another 10-12 months I'll probably take it apart again to clean it.

Some people argue that you shouldn't have to clean your mouse at all, and that the scroll ball is the worst invention ever. I say 10 minutes of cleaning every year is worth it for what is in my opinion the best mouse ever designed. :)

13. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Well, I sprang for the Mighty Mouse. So far its good.

I just want to know if there is something that'll allow you to assign different actions to each side button.

14. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

VX Revo spanks the WMM.

Apart from the obvious bugaboos (accurate but slow tracking, buttons - or lack of - silliness) I don't think the WMM is that bad, and in fact I use it on my Windows Bloomberg workstation for the spreadsheet navigation using the scroll ball, and also on a couple of other (once again Windows) machines.

But the VX is a better mouse overall, and the dongle is nowhere near as obtrusive as I thought it might be before I bought it.

15. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

The Apple Store replaced my Mighty Mouse without question when it wouldn't center click. I'd recommend going to them first before taking ti apart.

16. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Seriously? Wow. I might just try that then.

17. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Does the MM become idle if I don't use it for X amount of minutes?

Like cut down on battery usage?

18. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

19. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Okay. The little ball thing in the center feels weird.

I have to kind of press down on it to scroll any way. Is that normal?

20. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

It happens from time to time. When that happens to my MM, I usually just turn it off and rub the button down hard, fast, and in all directions. It fixes it for me; maybe it'll work for you.

21. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Only if it's starting to get covered in dirt. Or it's broken (Not an uncommon occurrence given Apple's quality control, or lack thereof).

I've seen a lot of this scroll ball issue. Apart from clearly broken examples, I haven't ever had a scroll ball mistrack. What are you all doing before you use the computer?

22. iMacBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

iMacBook

Its brand new.

Why do I have to press down somewhat in order to use it?

23. vicious7 macrumors 6502a

vicious7

Yep..had similar issues with the reviewers in the online Apple Store. The unfortunate thing is that the track ball stopped working properly well before I started having any battery issues. I'm considering a Wacom Tablet/Mouse now.

24. albeik macrumors regular

albeik

My only issue I had with my Wireless Mighty Mouse was that it doesn't work on my black surface desk. It worked fine on my Wired Mighty Mouse, but for some reason the Wireless version doesn't track very well - so I had to use a mouse pad (eeww).

I was disappointed about that - not sure why it would be different for both devices. Any one has any opinions as to why this is the case? :confused:

25. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

Pressing down on the ball slightly to scroll is completely normal. At least it is on the three Mighty Mice I've used. I'm assuming it's to avoid accidental scrollage.

You can't assign two separate commands to the side buttons because it's just one "squeeze" button. I have mine set to show all windows in Expose.

Not center clicking is very different than not scrolling. That seems more like a product defect, not just dirt.

Well, the Wireless MM is a laser mouse and the Wired is an optical mouse. There must be differences in how they track.