Looking to Buy a Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by anirban, May 10, 2009.

1. anirban macrumors 6502a

anirban

Hello All!

I am looking to purchase a new wireless router, preferably with 802.11N specification. I also have several devices that run on b/g frequency, so having a router with simultaneous support (for N and b/g) would be the best one.

Do you folks have any ideas on what router I should be looking at?

Thanks a lot!

2. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

There's always Apple's Airport Extreme (or express, depending on what exactly you need).

Check it out here: http://www.apple.com/wifi/

3. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

Yeah I had Airport Extreme in mind, but it seems a little expensive at $179. I really don't have much experience about the router market, but it seems that I should be able to get a comparatively cheaper router with the same capabilities.

Or do you think that $179 is a reasonable price point for a simultaneous N/g/b router?

Thanks!

4. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

At one time there was a significant problem with the Airport Express, some sort of power regulation issue caused it to fail fairly quickly for some people.

I bought an Airport Extreme almost as soon as they were released, best wifi router I've ever owned.

5. daflake macrumors 6502a

I have had no problem out of mine either. It replaced a Linksys that would not stay connected.

6. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Get the AEBS if you need dual-networking. Look for a refurb or on MacMall or Amazon or Ebay. Look for a slighty used too if you want to save a few more bucks.

7. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

Yeah I agree the Airport Extreme is an excellent choice, but I am not confident about the $179 price tag.

I think I might be able to get an equal specd router for about ~$100 on the market- but I could be wrong! That's why I need your help!

Do you think I might be able to find a cheaper router with the same capabilities, for a cheaper cost?

8. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

My AEBS replaced a Linksys, which replaced a NetGear.

Neither of those held up, always dropping out, the LinkSys was replaced twice due to failure, ( just quit working).

Your call, but sometimes you get what you pay for.

9. themacintoshman macrumors member

I have this netgear router, and it is wifi certified for a, b, g, and n wifi types. It was easy to set up, and it's nice and fast (at least with my Internet). It's $110, which is not bad for this quality of a router. It covers my whole house with full reception. Check it out for yourself, here's the link:
    www.netgear.com/products/RoutersandGateways/WNDR3300.aspx
    Hope that helps :D

10. themacintoshman macrumors member

11. scottkifnw macrumors regular

scottkifnw

Ae

Try the Airport Extreme, or better, Time Capsule. Easy, works great, ho hassles.
    sek

12. anirban thread starter macrumors 6502a

anirban

Im not in the market for Time Capsule- just a router, that can allow me to share an external drive and printer.

The Netgear 3300 looks great, but I don't think it has a USB port to share hard drives or printers. Please correct me if I am wrong!

Darn, I think I might just bite the bullet and pick up the Airport Extreme at $179

Also, the Airport Extreme has only 3 LAN ports. Is it possible to hook up a hub/switch to increase the number of wired ports on the device?

Thanks!

13. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

Try the Belkin N+. I'm using that and it meet all your qualifications but its USB port can't share a printer.

14. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...get the AEBS its fantastic with the sim dual banding and you can hook up a switch to it...

15. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

16. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Not sure if you've purchased a router yet, but I'd get the AirPort Extreme. I had a netgear wireless b/g/n router and it worked decently, but kept disconnecting. I bought the AirPort Extreme I guess maybe 2 months ago, maybe more, and it has worked flawlessly ever since. I'll update my original thread on my impressions as well.

It's worth the price.