Looking to buy an external HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nigameash, Aug 15, 2011.

1. nigameash macrumors 6502

I'm looking for a portable external HD with the following specs.
    1) USB 2.0
    2) Firewire 800
    3) 7200 RPM
    4) Bus powered

A bonus feature would be hardware encryption.

I found the lacie rugged edition as a possible candidate that fits the criteria but I find it too big to carry around all the time. I also found a few at owc but was wondering if any of the other brands have something that fits my selection.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. treestar macrumors 6502

There are really so many that meet criteria 1-4. I personally love G-Technology, for you the G-DRIVE mini. Good prices at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/.

The LaCie Rugged Safe has 128-bit hardware encryption, USB 2.0, FW800, and bus power. I didn't see any specs about drive speed.

4. buxtone17 macrumors regular

+1 for OWC enclosures.

After a horrific experience with LaCie enclosures and their joke of a customer service department, I did a ton of research and ended up switching to OWC. I have four Mercury series drives and the only problem I've had in four years is that the on/off switch didn't work on one of them upon shipment. After a five minute call with customer service, the drive went back to OWC and I had a new one within a few days.

It should be noted that OWC typically only builds the enclosures. They manufacture SSDs, but they don't do HDDs. The drive that GGJstudios posted uses either a Hitachi TravelStar or a Seagate Momentus HDD.

5. Techcomm macrumors newbie

I agree that the G-Technology G-DRIVE mini is really nice. I've had many portable drives but that one has such a high level of build quality. Very solid and never any problems for me.

6. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
  7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

8. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

^ alright, I'm just going with the cheaper one then.

9. i4k20c macrumors 6502a

i4k20c

well the Al. one also has esata...

at that price point, i might consider it since it's already pretty $$$ for a case.

obv. if you NEVER will use it, than who cares.

10. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

^ Ah I missed that. Ah well, I don't think I've ever used ESATA. I'm not even sure how I would with my MacBook Pro or Mac Mini. I've seen ESATA to USB adapters so maybe with that I guess?