Looking to buy an iMac but have a question

Discussion in 'iMac' started by barghest, Dec 27, 2012.

1. barghest macrumors newbie

Bit of a newbie on these forums so I'll apologise if this is covered elsewhere.

I'm looking to buy a 27" new 2012 iMac but am a little curious how to get 5.1 surround sound out of it in OSX and bootcamp (Windows 7) I'll be using either 5.1 headphones or resurrecting my old Marantz receiver and using 5.1 speakers with it.

How do I get them working?

Any recommendations on 5.1 headsets which work with iMacs?

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

3. barghest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. So any 5.1 headset with a digital optical connector will work? Does OSX natively support 5.1 or does it depend on the material? With Windows I would normally just install the drivers supplied.

I guess I could use my Marantz SR5300 to connect via the optical port but it's getting on a bit now.

4. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

OS X will support up to Dolby 7.1 .. but it doesn't automatically upconvert the material. You need a surround sound source to get surround sound output. But the codecs to handle the surround sound material are part of the OS.

And yes, anything with an optical connection will work. You may need an optical-mini optical adapter for some setups (the iMac port is a mini optical).

5. barghest thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I may just dust-off my Marantz for this.

Out of interest what make is the sound card used in the iMacs?