looking to buy an imac...but what spec?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mr.Iqbal, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Mr.Iqbal macrumors newbie

hi all, hope you are all well

im in abit of a pickle.. im off to uni in sept to do my masters in architcture. i have had a 2008 mbp since, well 2008.. it has served me well and has been a loyal partner. it still works fine and is as good as it was new ( apart from the battery).

i now wish to upgrade to either a top spec mbp or a top spec imac.

the portability issue is not a biggie as i plan on keeping my current mpb.

i will be using the machine for 3d modeling, image rendering and photoshoping.

im am drawn to the imac as i dont wish to keep a new mbp plugged in constantly for rendering which could take upto a day or more. as i know the battrys are a liitle sh*te and will probs bugger up.

so the questuions are these:
    could i make do with a low spec system that would happily work as fast as me when modeling and rendering or do i really need somthing powerfull. i can pick up cheap imacs of ebay with great spek for around a 1000 quid as opposed to a spanker from apple for around 2200...

an insight into the power of these machines will be greatly apricated

regard n thanks in adavnce

2. mac-ho macrumors member

Mmmm, Quid=Pound Sterling=$1.62 US X 1000 = $1662.00 US. Don't be so cheap. Add a few hundred and get the $2000.00 i5.

3. Mr.Iqbal thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Well I was thinking of getting the i7 with 2gb graphics and upgrading the ram myself to 16 gig.

I'm just thinking if I need all that power and if I can make do with a lower spec model.

4. accessoriesguy macrumors 6502a

Get the i7, but not the 2GB Graphics. Then again the 2GB graphics is only $100 more, but I highly doubt you would need that much. Mainly because that wuold be more for HD video rendering. But the second gen i7 with a AMD Radeon HD 6970M will make even your college professors jealous of your rendering speeds!