Looking to buy an iPad while on vacation

Discussion in 'iPad' started by braddick, Sep 3, 2011.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

If I purchase an iPad and I'm away from my home computer (with iTunes) will I be able to do much with it? Where I am staying offers WiFi. There's some downtime here and having an iPad would be terrific, if I can get it to work. Thanks!

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Pretty sure they can activate it in the apple store.

Yes they can: Buy iPad 2 at your favorite Apple Retail Store and we’ll help you set it up — free.

3. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

depends where u buy it at, if you get it from an apple store u can activate it there. Get it at Target or some third party retailer and u won't have access to iTunes.

4. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

There is no Apple store here, it's at a Radio Shack. I was hoping I could use the iTunes built into the iPad... Log in and under "purchases", download some apps... iBooks and such.

5. kalex macrumors 65816

Not yet. For now you have to use computer to activate it. once ios5 comes out then you can do it right from ipad

6. Bernard SG macrumors 65816

Bernard SG

Wirelessly posted (IPod Touch 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

You need to plug it in a computer for the very first power on. Apple stores and a lot of re-sellers can do it for you.
    Once that is done, you can of course purchase everything you need from the device itself.