Looking to buy an OLD MacBook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CIsonhart, Oct 2, 2012.

1. CIsonhart macrumors newbie

The story in a nutshell:

I had an HP for 2 years, and it died an ugly death. My family bought a Mac to replace it (new desktop thing, not a MacBook). BUT, I find I still want a laptop for my school work, so I am thinking I want a MacBook. The thing is, I am look at a 2006 version, as it is ridiculously affordable. Is this an OK move, or will I be frustrated beyond belief right away? What will be my limitations if I go that old?

Thank you for any advice you can give.

2. minifridge1138, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I have a mid-2007 MacBook and I love it.
    Core 2 Duo 2.0 GHz.
    2GB Ram.

I bought it 1 year ago.

It is not my primary computer, but it's what I use anytime I need to be portable.

I run Snow Leopard. It handles (EDIT: I originally said Mountain Lion, which is NOT TRUE. I typed the wrong thing) Lion with no problem, but the trackpad doesn't support gestures so I didn't see any reason to upgrade.

It won't handle gaming, but that's the only limitation I've run into with my use.

My Advice:
    There's always a bigger, faster, shinier, sleeker, newer computer.
    Decide how much you want to spend. Buy as much as you can from a reputable seller. Have fun.

Good Luck!!!

3. DaKKs macrumors 6502

I own a may-2006 model, ie. first gen, and while i love the bugger, I wouldn't recommend it. If you have a choice get at least an early Core 2 Duo, avoid the Core Duo models.

They're decent an all, the performance loss isn't that great compared to the C2D, but its hot and its noisy. I managed to get mine to shut up by undervolting the CPU with Coolbook and buying a new fan. Temps dropped with close to 30 degrees celsius on idle and 20 on load.

Max out the ram and get an SSD. And unless you purchase a Mountain Lion compatible Macbook, go with Snow Leopard. Lion is dodgy on early macbooks, and incompatible with Core Duo models.

4. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

I just updated/fixed my post.

I had said that My 2007 MacBook ran Mountain Lion with no issue.
    I meant to say it ran Lion with no problems.

Mountain Lion is not compatible with the 2007 Mac Book.

Sorry for any confusion.

5. CIsonhart thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the input gang! I've realigned my searches a bit, and am now only looking for the older machines with the C2D. I agree with the minifridge in the idea of the "always something bigger, faster, shinier" idea. I bought top of the line with the HP, and it went down in flames, and there was something better than it almost right after it came out. So with this machine, I am looking for reliable (hence the switch to Mac) and something I will enjoy. I am also switching due to the idea of the older ones running hot. My HP almost got hot enough to cause burns, so the idea of a machine running super hot will always keep me away now.

6. TheZA macrumors regular

I have a mid-2009 Macbook; 2.13 Ghz C2D, 160 Gb HD, it came with 2G RAM but has been upgraded to 4. The last of the old style before they went unibody. I love this machine and use it daily. I got it refurbished from Apple, and it came loaded with Snow Leopard 'cause it was in that time after SL came out. I since have updated to Lion. Lion was somewhat unnecessary but I like to use Facetime when I travel. I love this machine. I have a newer iMac, an older iMac, but I love this Macbook. It is my favorite Apple product (multiple iPods, iPad, etc. - no iPhone though). I write stuff on it, I email on it, I browse on it. I do not use it has the main repository of my music or photos - 160 Gb HD and 32 GB of that is bootcamped for Windows XP that I rarely find a need for (VirtualBox XP for the couple of regular things I need to do). I've been very careful with the lithe rubber pads from Radtech so no chipping of bezel or palm rest. I hope to have this thing for another decade.

Sorry, I just had to gush.

7. robvas macrumors 68020

Late 08 or better. You don't want the Intel graphics. Add at least 4GB RAM and an SSD

8. marsupilami4 macrumors newbie

I've got a late 2007 model, 2 GHz C2D, upgraded to 4 GB ram and 500 GB Momentus XT (HDD/SSD hybrid), running Snow Leopard. It's fine for day-to-day use except for hi-res flash videos that are starting to bring the processor to its knees as video quality/bandwidth increases, thanks mostly to the terrible mac flash plugin. So if you plan on watching a lot of flash video content be aware of that. For everything else it's perfectly adequate imo so long as you max out the ram (a fast HDD or a SSD helps a lot too).