Looking to buy an older-gen MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by pearsonownz, May 20, 2009.

1. pearsonownz macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I am really interested in purchasing a late 2008 MBP. I am thinking fall of 2008.

Anyways, I don't really like the look of the unibody, and the all silver is something I've always loved. And now that I am in the market, I would really like to find something.

My price range is 1,000-1,200. Is there any good sites to buy a good quality one? Anyone know of any users looking to get rid of one? There has to be some out there, but the sites I am viewing only are selling 2006-2007 MBP.

I don't really want to go Ebay.

Thanks!

2. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

If you don't mind getting lower specs, you may want to go for the older MBP's with ATI graphics. It would be cheaper, and you would avoid the possible ticking time bomb scenario that plagues the Nvidea classics.

3. Whackintosh macrumors 6502

Forgot to mention, it would be a little slower, but it owuld also be a few hundred bucks cheaper. :)

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

+1 on the c2d ati mbp. Stick in a 7200 rpm hard drive and 4 gigs of ram, and you probably couldn't tell the difference between the two machines unless you're a real power user.

And to the OP, if they don't have an older one on the refurbed store, you may be able to find a good deal on one if you keep an eye peeled on Craigslist. If you get one that has the 8600 nvidia card, make sure that it has applecare or is eligible for it.

5. desiringGod macrumors regular

I got an open box prev gen MBP from macmall.com for $1100, but I had to call in to get them to find it.

6. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

That's the model I have, and I love it. It has all of the useful features of the nVidia ones, without the ticking time bomb of a video card.

If I was in the market today, that's what I would do.

7. pearsonownz thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you explain this more? So, it was not on their web site? You called in?