Looking to buy external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by strausd, Aug 22, 2009.

1. strausd macrumors 68030

hey guys, im looking to buy an external monitor for my 15 in MBP, anybody have any suggestions?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

mroogle.

Need some descriptions of your desires and needs. The most generic recommendation I would make to anyone is buy a 24" Dell. If you could give some needs, price range, size desires, resolution, etc...

3. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

ok i would like something around 24" and i do a lot of graphic designing. price range would be up no more than $400. resolution, well i definitely need good res because of what i do.

4. iphonematt Guest

Well there are two things this depends on. Your price range and what size you want. My recommendation would be the 24" Apple LED Cinema Display. If not, Dell makes great displays as well. Im using a Dell 24" display right now with my MBP and love it. If I had the money though, I would get the Apple Display because it is the highest quality and has great picture quality. (Check the CNET review. They said the picture was one of the best they have seen).

5. reservedegotist macrumors regular

I think the Dell 2408WFP had a deal going on for 369, but not sure if it's still up. That one has been reliably great in quality...but yea otherwise if you're willing to bump your budget you can try for a refurbished LED Display @ 600

6. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

$400 will not be enough for what you need, if you are serious about what you need it for you will need to open your wallet a bit more.
    I have heard from numerous people that high end dell displays are great however, I have the led 24" apple cinema display and it is completely flawless.
    Best colour I have ever seen from a monitor ever, resolution is fantastic, HD movies look great, photo editing is fantastic (photoshop), in built speakers are awesome sound quality, looks stunning, and the other solid features that make this monitor perfect for any macbook owner, I also watch movies and eyetv on it.
    It is out of anything else's league, the one big disadvantage: the price, which is pretty big, but your getting USB hug, mic, iSight, Mag safe adaptor, awesome speakers, and its killer feature, a display that destroys all others.

Is it worth the price, for me: yes, for other people it might not be their cup of tea, but this certainly makes the $600 dell monitor that my friend bought look reasonably shabby

7. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

2410WFP is coming out soon in the US, and already out in some countries. Just a heads-up for those who like having the latest and the greatest.

8. adamjackson macrumors 65816

I have bought my past 4 monitors from http://dell.com/outlet.

I get great results from there on monitors and up to 20% off the retail prices (sometimes more).

I currently have a 30" Dell LCD 3008WFP and it's the best display I've ever owned!

Got it for $1200 from Dell Outlet.

9. PolySciSurfer macrumors 6502

10. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

can i trust a 24" refurb apple cinema display?

11. Koncdead macrumors newbie

12. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

ya the only thing is the price. whats the best under $400?

13. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Apple LED Display is what I recommend too but good luck finding it for less than $400. You may want to rethink your price target...

14. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

well its not as much as a price target as much as it is a i dont have a lot of money target...

15. kasakka macrumors 68000

Lots of people try to spend as little as possible on a display, which happens to be the thing you'll be staring at the most. I see a good display as a good investment that will last for many years.

I'd suggest saving a bit more and getting a quality S-PVA or S/H-IPS panel display.

16. harry20larry macrumors 6502a

harry20larry

Trust me on this one, you pay for what you get when it comes to displays.
    Displays don't exactly become out of date like computers, you can have a display for a good 8 years before it starts looking like it need a replacement.

I would honestly stretch for the LED Cinema display

17. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE:
    "i would like something around 24" and i do a lot of graphic designing. price range would be up no more than $400. resolution, well i definitely need good res because of what i do."

This makes answering your question very easy:

Visit dealmac.com, and keep an eye out for Dell sale pricing on their 2408wfp 24" display.

Or check Dell's page daily on that model.

The price will vary daily/weekly, from higher to lower to sale to higher, etc. You have to be patient and keep a watchful eye and wait for when the time is right.

It was recently on sale in the $430 range.

Another site, one good for reviews, is:
    anandtech.com

- John

18. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Dell tends to have really good monitors. Or you can get an overpriced apple one. It might work the best specifically for macs, but i dont need an isight that i never use or the other stuff that inflates the price. And if you dont get an apple, you dont have to worry about the fanboys on here trying to hump your leg when you post pics.

19. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

well does anyone have any idea when apple will update their other monitors? because they used to have 20", 24", and 30" silver cinema displays. they now have the 24" updated but maybe they will update the others soon too? then i could wait for a 20" refurb and it would be in my price range.

20. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

I got a dell 24" monitor. You can find one for a good price. Just look around on Ebay or Craigslist.

21. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030