Looking to buy first macbook. Advice needed.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kevdawg86, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Kevdawg86 macrumors newbie

I'm looking at buying my first macbook computer. I'm looking at two different macbook pros. I'm looking for a system that would be able to handle photo editing programs such as Photoshop without any issues. I do a lot of photo editing, video editing, and recording and some but not a lot of gaming. I'm deciding between these two models:

2.5 GHz Intel Core i7 (Crystalwell)
    16GB of Onboard 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM
    512GB PCIe-Based Flash Storage
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M Graphics (2GB)
    Iris pro
    15.4" LED-Backlit IPS Retina Display
    $2249

2.2 GHz Intel Core i7 (Crystalwell)
    16GB of Onboard 1600 MHz DDR3L RAM
    256GB PCIe-Based Flash Storage
    Integrated Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    15.4" LED-Backlit IPS Retina Display
    $1799

Is it worth the $450 increase on price for the activities I do? I'm fairly new to Mac so any advice is greatly appreciated. Also I plan on keeping this for multiple years.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

If any of the apps you use for editing benefits from using CUDA, and your work is time sensitive (as in, you make money with the laptop and having it do more in less time means more revenue) then yes.

If not, don't bother.

3. Kevdawg86 thread starter macrumors newbie

4. Kevdawg86 thread starter macrumors newbie

So I'm really new to this whole thing. What type of apps require this? Do any photo, video, or audio apps usually require it?

5. snaky69 macrumors 603

Google is your friend.

I don't do editing of any kind, but many editing apps make use of CUDA, while others use OpenCL to leverage the GPU for calculations. It all depends on which app you use.

Photoshop CS6 for example can make use of CUDA.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

A dGPU...

.... will help with video editing (if your apps use it) and gaming. That doesn't mean that the Iris pro can't do it it's just that sometimes the dGPU will be a lot faster.

You'll have to look up what your apps use yourself, google can answer all of these questions in seconds.

7. Kevdawg86 thread starter macrumors newbie

I went ahead and splurged and got the better model. Figured if I was gonna invest I'd get something guaranteed to work. Thank you for the help.