Looking to buy - is there a significant difference in processors?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Muttster, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Muttster macrumors member

I will soon be in the market to upgrade my computer (2006 Mac Pro) and I'm looking at the refurbished imacs. The prices seem reasonable but I'm confused about the processors. The cheapest is the 3.33 Core 2 Duo followed by an 3.2 Intel i3 and a 3 Intel i5. There is a significant difference in price between the i3 and the i5 and not a big difference between the core 2 Duo and the i3. My question here is there a significant difference in performance between these 3 processors and and especially between the i3 and i5 to justify a $150 difference?

If there is anything else that I should be looking at, please let me know.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Since you're asking the question, probably not. But it's impossible to tell since you don't give any hint of what you use your machine for.

3. Muttster thread starter macrumors member

Mostly for word processing, internet and very light gaming along with using handbrake and iphoto.

4. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

I'd get the i3 just to be sure it'll last you for a while. The 3.2gz i3 also has the mobility 5730, which should meet your gaming needs a good bit better than what the dual core option provides.

Overall it's a bit safer buy that is potentially more futureproof for a small amount of money.

5. RuggedPro macrumors regular

A response I gave in another thread that somewhat fits here as well.

6. RuggedPro macrumors regular

Also, on the refub site, there is difference between the graphics cards on the i3 and i5.

Also, the i5 is a quad core while the i3 is dual.

The i3 has hyperthreading but not turbo boost.

The i5 has turbo boost but not hyperthreading.

The i5 graphics card is the better 5750 but the real world $ difference in that card from the 5670 is like $30 I think so.. for $260 you get a better graphics card, 2 more cores, and turbo boost but lack hyperthreading which you could argue is not necessary because you have 2 more physical cores.

Read my above post and then decide if you need it.

7. darknite38 macrumors regular

Wrong.

The i5 has turbo boost AND hyperthreading, which gives it 4 actual cores, and 8 virtual.

8. RuggedPro, Jan 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011

RuggedPro macrumors regular

...lol. :rolleyes:

The 27" i5 on the refurb site is the quadcore 2.8Ghz. Which according to this:
    http://www.apple.com/imac/specs.html supports turboboost only.

If he was speaking of 3.6 DUAL core i5, which there are none on the refurb site at this moment so I'm guessing he's not, then yes, you would be correct.

9. Staindsoul macrumors 6502

Staindsoul

I agree with TMRaven