Looking To Buy MBP - Buy Now Or Wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Anician, May 29, 2008.

  1. Anician macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2007
    #1
    Hi, I'm currently a Windows user but am planning to switch to Mac and buy a MacBook Pro sometime during the next few weeks. However, after browsing through the numerous forums here, it seems as though Apple might be updating their MacBook Pro's during WWDC or sometime during August with Centrino 2 and maybe even a "re-design". How likely is the new MBP going to be updated with Centrino 2 (and a "re-design") on WWDC or August? I'd hate to buy a MBP and see Apple announce a new MBP a month later. As for waiting, I'm not in a hurry to use a MBP, although it'd just be nice to have one to toy around with when the summer holiday starts (in 2 weeks for me).


    Thanks,
    Jonathan
     
  2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

    cyclingplatypus

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2007
    Location:
    Earth
    #2
    You should check out the MR Buyer's Guide, that being said, I say buy now and when they release a new updated one you can decide if you "need" to update and sell this one, the nice thing about a Mac is they hold they resale value quite well (especially when comparing to a PC) and you'll most likely only take a hit of $100-$300 (if that).
     
  3. Erasmus macrumors 68030

    Erasmus

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2006
    Location:
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    #3
    It all depends on what you want to do with your notebook.
    If you do not intend to play any games, then there is probably not that much reason to wait, as the CPU improvements will almost certainly be minimal. If you want to play games, then if Apple are going to upgrade the graphics card, they will probably do it in this revision, maybe with a nvidia 9600 or ATI equivalent.
    Of course, if you can wait a month or two, then do so. It seems inevitable that the next MBP update will be in August at the latest. It will bring lots of yummies like faster RAM and bus speeds, as well as slightly faster CPUs, but you are more likely to see improvements in graphics card, and other things, like magnetic latch, case redesign, bigger trackpad, etc.
     
  4. MattZani macrumors 68030

    MattZani

    Joined:
    Apr 20, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    More evidence (well rumours and some parts orders) Show that the MBP could be updated at WWDC, and if i've read it right, it seems almost certain!
     
  5. Anician thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2007
    #5
    That sounds AWESOME. I might start playing WoW this summer, and the performance upgrades sound REALLY worth waiting for. I'm gonna stay positive and hope that it comes out as soon as WWDC. :D

    Any other opinions on the chances of a "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger" MBP on WWDC or August?
     
  6. bennyboyt macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 27, 2008
    #6
    sorry if this has been asked in another thread, as ive been searching about but is there likely to be a upgrade to the macbook at this WWDC?
     
  7. blakintosh macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 26, 2008
    #7
    Only rumors exist, nothing is for sure. Apparently people wait a macbook pro redesign and a macbook redesign. They also want a 3G iPhone and they want the final release of the 1.2 firmware. All this is supposed to happen at WWDC but it would be overkill.

    The only good reason for waiting, is to get the back to school discount and get a free ipod or any other good rebate with the purchase of a macbook.

    Any way both macbooks can get updates in any other date but if it is a redesign, that is quite important so they need an event.

    Hope this helps
     
  8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

    KingYaba

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2005
    Location:
    Up the irons
    #8
    No sense in waiting. Purchase now if you need it.
     
  9. soberbrain macrumors 65816

    soberbrain

    Joined:
    May 9, 2008
    #9
    Since you're not in a hurry and WWDC is about 2 weeks away, I'd say wait until then.

    Though, I understand the anticipation/frustration of waiting. I waited to buy my first Mac until they announced an Aluminum 15" PowerBook. I kept checking rumors to make sure it was going to be announced. Now, I'm waiting for the iPhone 3G + bigger drive + flash compatibility.
     

Share This Page