Looking to buy my first iMac...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by chief21, Oct 27, 2011.

1. chief21 macrumors newbie

I am looking to buy my first iMac and am looking for some good direction in terms of which one to go with. My wife is a wedding photographer and is in need of a new computer to edit on with Photoshop. She likes the 27" so I figured that's where I would start. The computer will mostly be used to edit pictures (lots and lots of them), regular internet surfing, and some gaming. What do you recommend I go with? How much RAM should I consider getting? Any and all information/suggestions are appreciated!

2. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

You probably only need the i5 but for longevity I would get the i7 3.4 as it is the best deal going for the power you get. Only faster machines are Mac Pros and they cost 4000.00+ and are not that much faster:)

3. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

I'd go with the i7 for the hyperthreading. It's not really necessary now, but if you're doing heavy PhotoShopping then you'll probably want it in a few years.

As for memory, get the stock 4gb and then order these on Amazon for $50. Bam, 12gb RAM with lifetime warranty.

4. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Pro Photography

And video (music) is what I do.

See screenshot for spec. This will eat anything you throw at it.

Attached Files:

• Mac.jpg
      Mac.jpg
      File size:
      119.8 KB
      Views:
  5. danderton macrumors member

upgrade the ram

I would go for one of the top end processors but hang fire on paying apple for the extra ram. You can get genuine parts for a fraction of the cost and VERY easy to upgrade. Apple allow you to upgrade and not effect your Apple Care

6. N0ddie macrumors 6502

N0ddie

+1.

I'd say buy the highest spec you can afford with the exception of the RAM. Add that later yourself for a lot less. That's what I'll be doing when our 27" iMac arrives next Friday.

7. BarkingGhost macrumors regular

BarkingGhost

And if you do go with the high end maybe consider the Apple Care to cover it for 3 years that you will probably be owning it.

8. N0ddie macrumors 6502

N0ddie

Would also recommend this. It aint much money in the grand scheme of things (£2000+ on an iMac) and they are very good.

9. chief21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help and suggestions!

----------

Oh and what about the hard drive? Should the 1TB be plenty for what we will use the computer for or should I look at upgrading?