Looking to buy my first mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by chogie, May 10, 2007.

1. chogie macrumors newbie

Ok, I'm looking to buy my first mac but I'm having a hard time deciding on what to buy. Money is no issue because I just got a new job and can save as much as I need to.

I'll be using OSX for every day things like downloading, surfing, watching movies, and so on. But, because of my love of games, I will also be installing XP or Vista. I have never used a mac with windows or really even a mac. I have recently gotten mixed reviews on the subject of gaming on a mac. Some say no matter what system you have it sucks, others say its wonderful.

What are your opinions on running games in windows on a mac? Also what kind of system am I going to need for games.

I know I probably haven't been clear but I've had a bad day today, so just ask and I'll clear it up for you

2. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Games under Windows work really well as far as I know.

I'd recommend an iMac if your looking for a desktop, or a MacBook Pro if your looking for a notebook. I've never used an Intel iMac for gaming, but the MacBook Pro is an amazing gaming machine (for the games I play anyway).

3. theheyes macrumors regular

If you "love" games then anything less than a Mac Pro with the x1900 graphics card is going to be a compromise.

iirc, the best graphics card you can get in an iMac is the 7600gt in the 24" version. Thats a pretty average card and you're not going to get the best experience at native resolution.

I have an iMac (1GB ram) with a 128mb x1600 card. Civ4 runs well under XP. C&C3 runs okay at medium settings if you drop the resolution. Some of the older FPS run fine, the newer ones not so well. You may get more mileage out of the 256mb card but not a lot.

For the price of a Pro I would just build yourself a pc gaming rig and buy a mac mini to be honest. You'd get change out of that too.

Thats my honest advice.

4. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

If money is no issue then get a Mac Pro with the x1900.

5. Dynamyk macrumors 6502a

Dynamyk

Macbook Pro is your best bet. I always think a laptop is nice to have, but if it's no big use to you to have a portable then save for a Mac Pro.

6. Plumbstone macrumors regular

Plumbstone

I have a 2.16 Macbook pro and it works great for games. I have played Oblivion, Splinter cell and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and they all run pretty well, no really extreme frame rates but certainly playable. When you are using bootcamp to play games I find after an hour or 2 my MBP gets seriously hot though as, I believe, windows doesn't have the software management to properly control the fans etc.

Yesterday I received my 8-core Mac Pro, w. 5Gb RAM and a X1900:) :) :) :) . I am installing windows as I type this so will probably waste a few hours tonight playing Oblivion so will report back in the morning...

IMO what it comes down to for you is portability. A MPB is fine for gaming and is portable, if you want georgeous fluid high fps, and portability is not an option then go Mac Pro..

p.s. I hope your day is improving!

7. MacKitten macrumors newbie

Yep, if money is no issue then go the mac pro with the 30 inch screen.... or perhaps get two! i'd also wait to purchase after WWDC, just incase something is released there

8. jasdelta Guest

"Yesterday I received my 8-core Mac Pro, w. 5Gb RAM and a X1900:) :) :) :) . I am installing windows as I type this so will probably waste a few hours tonight playing Oblivion so will report back in the morning.."

Plumbstone,

Can you tell me what Windows OS are you running, XP or Vista? I am about to purchase a new Mac Pro and want to run some favorite PC games on it as well. Of them, TGW PGA Tour Golf 2007, and FSX Flight Simulator, as well as some productivity apps such as MS Money, Office, etc. Can you give us a report on your fps and overall experience with the new machine. Many thanks,

Also do you know will Boot Camp take advantage of all 8 of your Xeon's?

Jim

9. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

A Mac Pro just to surf the web and play games seems like overkill to me. If you need to save up for this purchase then money is an object (although saving rather than going into debt is a very good idea). If you really want the Mac Pro then save for it. Personally, I think the iMac suits your needs better.

If games are really important to you, perhaps a dedicated console would do? Tell us some of the games you really want to play. People will be able to give you more accurate advise. Best wishes.

10. jasdelta Guest

Thanks for your feedback. As mentioned Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2007, FSX Flight Simulator, and Code Masters, TOCA Racing 3, plus MS Money, Office and some greeting cards programs.

Jim