Looking to Buy New Mac Next Year (Advice Needed)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by vbctv, Aug 18, 2017.

1. vbctv macrumors 6502

vbctv

I currently use a Mac mini (2014 Base) with 1.4ghz i5, 4 GB Ram & 500GB SSD. I also have a 2012 MacBook Air that I use on the go with 4GB Ram & a 128GB SSD.
    Next year I'm looking to upgrade to a new Mac as I want something that's going to last for a while. Now I'm gonna start saving money and am looking at how much to put away and so on.
    I run an Online WebSeries TV Network. So I do photo editing, video editing and localhost work. Now before I get into what I'm looking at, let me say this. I very rarely get a beach ball, my system runs great with what I do. Everyone who says 4GB Ram is not enough, I have zero issues with FCP or Photoshop.
    Now what I'm looking at is 8GB Ram vs 16GB Ram and 256 or 512 SSD. I'm also unsure if I want to go MacBook, MacBook Pro or MacBook Pro w/TB. I think the MacBook Air is out because that's not really future proof. I will be hooking it to a 27 inch monitor. I have also considered a maxed out Mac mini but again don't think it's future proof. I would like to find a machine that will last 7-8 years for me with the amount of money the machines are. A laptop would work because I can use it as a desktop & laptop on the go.
    Just want to get some opinions and advice so I know what I should be looking for and how much I'm gonna have to save to spend. Thanks for everyones time.

2. kschendel macrumors 6502a

My off-the-cuff reaction would be a non-TB baseline 13 inch Macbook Pro with maxed out SSD, and I'd be seriously tempted to go with 16 Gb RAM. You don't need 16 Gb now, but if "future proofing" is a concern, remember that you can't upgrade RAM in the MBP's, you're stuck with what you buy. If your mini runs OK now, I wouldn't worry about CPU upgrading, just go with what the baseline is and spend the money elsewhere.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

OP wrote:
    "Next year I'm looking to upgrade to a new Mac as I want something that's going to last for a while."

There's no way to advise you on which Mac to buy "next year", because those Macs won't be on the market until then and there's no way to know exactly what their specs are going to be until then.

Wait until next year when you are ready to buy, and then ask your question again.

4. vbctv thread starter macrumors 6502

vbctv

Like I said I’m trying to get an idea of how much money I’m going to need to save or spend . The Mac models are pretty much the same price every year . Just the processor and specs are upgraded

5. Appleaker macrumors 68020

Well you've chosen a good year to buy a future proof computer, the bump to quad-core will be helpful for longevity and the tasks you do.