Looking to Buy new MB or MBP: Questions

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jenkl, Jun 24, 2007.

1. Jenkl macrumors newbie

First of all, thanks for reading. I've just got some questions, some may be easier to answer than others. From reading these forums I've gotten something of an answer for some of the questions, but am hoping for more direct answers (these MBPs are a big investment ;).

Most of the questions are for the MB AND MBP. The latest revisions and some extra cash I just got have rekindled my hopes of affording a MBP.

1) I know the RAM is easily upgraded by yourself, but can you replace the hardrive on the MB and MBP? This especially applies for the MB, since I dont think 80 gigs is enough and I'd much rather do the upgrade myself.

2) I understand the latest upgrade to Mac OS X (Leopard) is coming out this year. I'm curious, is this a free upgrade? Or would a Tiger user need to buy the update? A windows comparison: is it a service pack or new version?

3) If I did go for the MBP, I could only really afford the base version. This leaves me with the 8600m with only 128 megs of VRAM. I'm wondering how the mac users here think it will affect my game performance (almost always running in boot camp). I'm aiming to play Age of Conan, a game that will have similar specs to Oblivion. Most of the benchmarks, if not all, I've seen have been for the 256 meg versions.

Sorry if I came across a little too misinformed. This would be the first time I purchase a mac... hell, it's the first time I've ever even considered a mac.

2. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

macbooks don't have a dedicated gpu (is this the right part?) so apparently that can be a problem for some heavy 3d work and gaming... so you will probably need to go with the macbook pro.

Can't answer about the 128, although I think some people on here said itwas ok depending on games.

You may need to save a tid bit more and go for the 256, although you might want to look at the refurbs. It won't be a SR, but you can probably find a c2d 256 (and maybe with a harddrive upgrade) for the same if not better then the bottom of the line SR and it'll still FLY and handle everything you need it to.

I think if you upgrade the hardrive yourself with other parts it'll void your warranty... anyone know?

3. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

The Hard Drive in both the MB and MBP can be upgraded however the MB's hard drive is significantly easier to upgrade.

4. Draythor macrumors 6502

Draythor

1) Yes, google search it and you WILL find instructions to do it. Many people choose to do it now.

2) No, as a Tiger user you will be expected to pay for the new version of Leopard. It is a whole new OS. Think of as it as you would think of upgrading to vista. (sinful as it is on these boards :p)

3) You should be ok for that, the processing abilty of the Santa Rosa chip will pretty much make up for it.

Hope this helps

5. Jenkl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. It did help. Just a few more questions though:

1) How much can we expect Leopard to cost? Is it worth waiting until October?

2) Im assuming once Leopard launches Boot Camp will not longer be a free tool? Or am I wrong in that? Boot Camp is an important reason I'm moving towards macs, dont want to get left behind.

6. mkgm1 macrumors regular

1) Leopard will probably be $129, as that is how much Tiger currently costs. It'll be cheaper with a student discount (I think something like $69).

Personally, I'm looking to buy my first Mac too, and like you I'm considering the MBP's. However, for me there's really no choice - I have to wait until October, because that's when I start university and I'll get my student discount.

It's unlikely that there will be any major hardware upgrades by Leopard, so if you can't wait, then now's a good time to buy, as SR has just been released, along with the upgraded graphics card too. But then again, with Apple you never know.

Basically, if you don't mind paying $129 for a feature-full OS (unlike the extortionate prices you'd pay for Vista Ultimate), then you should go for the MBP now. There's no point worrying about any potential hardware upgrades, as the next one is always around the corner, and that mentality will lead you nowhere.

2) Leopard will have Boot Camp built in.

7. Jenkl thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the answer. Sounds great actually.

For question two, to specify, it was more like, if I DONT get Leopard, will bootcamp no longer be available to me? I guess thats a better way to word the question.

8. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yes, that is about correct. You can see Apple's user agreement for Bootcamp here.

9. Jenkl thread starter macrumors newbie

Another two questions:

1) Are there any issues networking a mac to a pc? Or will it work just like normal?

2) For any Canadian buyers off the Canadian web-store, what taxes were you charged? The estimated tax is 0, and I'm pretty sure thats a terrible estimate. I know the last PC I bought off the net only got charged GST, wondering if I should expect the same from the apple ca store or if I'll get charged GST and PST.

10. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

I'm not going to lie to you: OS X's networking skills aren't great. It can sometimes cut out and be irritating. When Leopard comes (October) this will be fixed.

11. DJTJ macrumors regular

apple store will charge you both gst, and pst.