Looking to Buy New MBP Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wicked1, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I was going to order the Fully loaded i7 with 16GB and 1TB SSD but I am not sure I even will use those features. I do mostly light video editing, browsing, music, Heavy Photo editing, also not sure I would get one with the bar, might just order bottom line MBP and get it with base i5, 8GB and 1 TB SSD, I need it more for space.

One question since you cant upgrade the new units, is the i7 worth it, or 16GB?

I am running a 2015 MacBook with 1.2 8GB, and 512GB
    Out of space on SSD, cant stand single port (my biggest issue) using USB C and 3.0 Drives it makes it hard, also seems to bog down when working with video and DSLR photos. I seem to be ok on Ram though, but not sure 8GB is worth it anymore?

Looking for opinions if you have one of the lessor MBP's how does it perform, thinking the loaded MBP is more for a professional Video person, but plan to keep this for years so would rather get something I can grow with. The oldre ones were great bc you can upgrade but now you really have to think about an upgrade path because I do not want to be buying a new machine every 1-2 years :(

2. ZapNZs macrumors 68020

ZapNZs

Have you determined the cause of the slowdowns you are experiencing? Specifically, RAM, CPU, GPU, SSD, or something else?

3. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

Most photographers are using an external drive to store their photos/edits. Primarily to free up space. if your internal SSD is filled primarily with images, you might want to consider doing this.

You'll benefit first from more RAM

4. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

So purchased the Ultimate 13" MBP last night from Apple, my wife and I did and got her school discount, can't tell you how happy I am now that I got the 16GB, 1TB SSD and i7cpu, what a great machine. I needed more ports otherwise I would have stayed with my 2015 1.2/8GB/512SSD but lack of ports really made me struggle.

If anyone is on the fence about getting the ultimate 13" MBP can't say enough good stuff about it including the function Bar what a great idea.

5. smallcoffee macrumors 68000

Processor doesn't matter, but the 16GB ram is an absolute must. I don't care what you were doing before where you think RAM isn't/wasn't an issue, it's an absolute must to have the 16GB, even over SSD space. In the next few years (if you're a buy it and hang on to it for 4-5 years person like me) it'll be increasingly crucial to have 16GB of ram.

I have a touchbar and I don't really care for it either way, but touchID is very nice.

The USB-C thing shouldn't bother you. It's a good thing, actually. Yes maybe you have to buy a $20 legacy port adapter, but your future purchases should/can be wireless or USB-C and you're good to go.

Either way, no matter what you do, get 16GB of ram. Even if that means getting a 256SSD versus 512 or something along those lines if it's a budget concern.