Looking To Buy Newton 2000 (or above) For College

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Takahashi, Jun 23, 2009.

1. Takahashi macrumors newbie

Just going into college I've been looking for a portable device to take notes and more importantly keep my planner. I've used apples/macs since I was a kid and as fortune would have it I looked into the Newton and found that the models 2000 and above were the best fit. I know tons about apples/macs but when it comes to the Newtons I am clueless... I own a different Macs with all the operating systems installed so I don't think compatibility will be an issue. Any purchasing advice would be great. I.E. Ideal prices, where to buy, what to look for when buying? Thanks I hope to use one this coming semester!

2. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

If you have a modem try calling a few Apple BBSs and asking around on each Newton message board. Or if you go to university you might have access to that new Altavista search tool. If that doesn't work you can just use Archie search. I was shopping for an HP28S calculator and all the stores were sold out, but I found a place using gopher.

I'm sure you'll turn up something.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

ok that's officially the funniest OP/response combo I've ever seen.

4. bjorn989 macrumors member

I agree. Physically laughed out loud.

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Nugget that was actually amazing, congratulations.

6. Jozone macrumors 6502

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

Someone still has a working Newton? I thought they were all in museums.

8. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

I was working retail selling computers when the Newton was introduced at MacWorld Boston. We had some in stock and I had a chance to play with them before the crowd invaded the store. We only had a few in stock.

The Newton was an interesting product but failed to recognize most handwriting. It learning curve for it was too hard.

I am pretty sure you won't be able to find any of these. I'd get an iPod Touch if I were you....I had a big smile on my face when I read this!

9. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

10. sishaw macrumors 65816

sishaw

11. n8kwx macrumors newbie

I haven't used my Newton in years, but I do miss the platform.

The Newton makes the iPhone OS seem really clumsy.

Plus the iPhone keyboard is more error prone than the Newton OS 2.0 handwriting recognition. I'd much rather write an email on my old newton than the iPhone!

Hopefully at some point Apple will give us a tablet with multitouch and the Newton handwriting technology melded together.

12. Takahashi thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm going to UNLV. I own an iPod Touch but I feel that it sometimes does not give the options I need. I mean I love the wifi on the thing, but it becomes a pain sometimes to type. I've written out 5 chapters on a book I'm working on but when I get home I have to re-type it out instead I wish I could just upload it to my desktop. Anyway thanks for the help (only a few of you) but I guess this search might be harder than I thought. HAHA Maybe ill just walk in class using my Apple //-c with the battery and the LCD attachment screen.

13. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Havent you heard that they invented tablet PC's?

14. striatedglutes macrumors 6502

do you write them in the notes app? they now sync with 3.0

15. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Or you could email it to yourself...

16. illegallydead macrumors 6502a

illegallydead

If you are having a problem typing, have you considered a LAPTOP? Or a smaller netbook or something? No need to upload back and forth, and you get a full keyboard. Hate to burst your bubble here but the Newton is not a great device to type / write on either. Pretty much no matter what you want to do, a Newton (in this day and age) will not be your answer, unless it is for the ridiculous Apple geek factor.