Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
My local Futureshop has the model I want for $100 off. I can get it for another $130 off by purchasing a refurbished model through Apple. With tax I'm saving about $150.

So is it worth saving $150 to buy refurbished through Apple?

Also I hate Futureshop, just tossing that out there.

EDIT: To add in case it matters I'm looking at the retina 13" with 8GB RAM and 256SSD.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Refurbished Macs have the same warranty as new and are almost always in "new" condition.

I always buy refurbished.

capathy21

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2014
Houston, Texas
My local Futureshop has the model I want for $100 off. I can get it for another $130 off by purchasing a refurbished model through Apple. With tax I'm saving about $150.

So is it worth saving $150 to buy refurbished through Apple?

Also I hate Futureshop, just tossing that out there.

EDIT: To add in case it matters I'm looking at the retina 13" with 8GB RAM and 256SSD.

Definitely buy the refurbished model. As stated, you get the full warranty with Apple Care option and you save money in the mean time.

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Thanks. So basically the refurb model from Apple will be pretty much like new condition anyway so I might as well save what I can.

And 8GB should be enough for basic use, possibly some photo editing. Not looking for anything to perform professional video editing or something just upgrading my iMac from about 5 years ago.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
The 8GB model will work just fine for most people. I'll be buying the same one sooner or later, I'm just hoping for a refresh soon so the refurb prices drop a little more.

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Thanks again. One last question. Do the refurb models include any software that would be included with a new Mac?

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
Thanks again. One last question. Do the refurb models include any software that would be included with a new Mac?

Refurbished systems are identical to new in terms of software, hardware, and ability to have AppleCare added at any time during the first year of ownership. The only thing you don't get with a refurb is the fancy white retail box.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
In the States many states are doing a tax free weekend for going back to school. There will be no sales tax on computers, clothing, and school supplies. In our state the computers are only tax free up to $1000. Next door in South Carolina there is not limit on the computer cost. Both states are having their tax free weekend the first weekend of August.

Use the links to find the applicable tax free details for various states.
http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/sales_holiday.html

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
In the States many states are doing a tax free weekend for going back to school. There will be no sales tax on computers, clothing, and school supplies. In our state the computers are only tax free up to $1000. Next door in South Carolina there is not limit on the computer cost. Both states are having their tax free weekend the first weekend of August.

Use the links to find the applicable tax free details for various states.
http://www.taxadmin.org/fta/rate/sales_holiday.html

Thanks. I'm actually in Canada though. :(

I appreciate the replies everyone. Ordered it this morning.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
I guess I am the only one who wouldn't recommend refurbished.

No matter what Apple, or anyone else tells you, the refurb models are discounted for a reason. They are re-using parts that pass an inspection, which is not that difficult to pass, although the case and anything you come into contact with should be brand new.

I have gotten my fair share of refurb units, and have heard ALL of Apple's stories. Some genius' have told me they are brand new units. Some have told me they are refurbs. And some use the term "remanufactured." Long story short, you are getting a unit re-made with parts that were returned by people for a reason.

I myself have gotten refurb iphones that failed within 1-2 days, and one was taken back by the genius before he even handed me the phone. He literally opened up the box, was in the process of handing it to me, and he said "nope, it has a loose battery." I had another phone that wouldn't receive or place any calls, another with a camera that wouldn't focus, another with some problem where the screen would flicker, the loose battery, and another with a big nick out of the box.

I ask you: if these refurbs are put through such stringent testing, as Apple and some claim, would I have gotten 5 with major defects? Just bad luck? Perhaps.

Now, you may get lucky. You may end up with a good unit. I am not saying all refurbs are bad. But it is certain that all are made with recycled parts.

If that cost savings is worth it to you, then by all means go refurb and try your luck. You always have the option of returning and playing the warranty game.

But for me, personally, I would just buy new.

Also keep in mind that a lot of people have returned macbooks for image retention problems, and uneven screen uniformity problems. So test for those if you do get a refurb. I am not sure if Apple re-uses screens.

Drucifer

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 28, 2008
Well I called and ended up buying new with a student discount as my daughter is in school.

Happy with my choice and should arrive in the mail next week some time.

I appreciate your help everyone. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.