Looking to buy / sign up for first smartphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by S1njin, May 13, 2010.

1. S1njin macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Hey Gang,

I have been on the sidelines for this whole smartphone / service provider / Android OS vs. iPhone OS for awhile now. Up until now.

My job is cracking down on phone useage (cell and desk) so I finally need to enter reality and purchase a device and a plan.

I'm a devoted MAC person, having converted 5 years ago from Windows and all the hassle. I understand and appreciate the value of most things 'Apple' and the iPhone itself is certainly not lost on me. I've poured over the leaks and obsessed on sites like this and Engadget/Gizmodo for the latest tidbits of 6/7/2010. I can't wait.

Here's my dilemna though. Most folks I talk to LOVE the iPhone but LOATHE AT&T. A 2 year commitment is a long time if the nework I sign up w/ is garbage. Also, there is talk about a Verizon version, which may or may not happen. Finally, many things might clear up after Steve speaks in June.

So, obviously I shouldn't really do anything until we hear from Steve (why buy into the old handset w/ 2 years of commitment when we might know when the new one is coming out in a few weeks?). Will he announce a Verizon version? If he doesn't do you take the plunge and risk kicking yourself later if it comes around Xmas? Will it even come at all? Heck ATT might be decent where I live, but the return policy is not as gratious as Verizon's.

Its almost like I either gamble w/ ATT after the new iPhone is out, or go w/ a Verizon Droid as a stop-gap. The big thing w/ Verizon (network aside) is you can sign up for 1 year contracts. I can put up w/ a lot more hassle if the timeframe is only 1 year ...

What to do?

2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

I'd say to do basically what you already said. Wait until June and wait for the new iPhone. If it is appealing to you, give it a shot. You have 30 days to return it if you decide AT&T doesn't work well enough in your area.

3. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

ATT is 30 days too? I thought it was 14 ... ack maybe that was Best Buy Wireless I'm confusing it w/.

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

5. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

Well that helps take some of the dread away from the choice. Thanks for chipping in on my thread.

6. S1njin thread starter macrumors 6502a

S1njin

So I had the chance to take a Verizon BB and a ATT BB thru my house. I pulled up the status screens for each to read the signal strength.

The ATT BB read about -70 steady for most of the time. Sometimes it bounced to the high 80s, but than settled pretty quickly into the -70 dBM area.

The Verizon BB held at about -88. It didn't bounce around very much though.

Assuming the Verizon BB is a 3G (my signal bar on the home screen reads 1XEV) it looks like ATT is actually better on signal in my house.

:)