Looking to buy soon!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Pollic02, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Pollic02 macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2011
    Hey everyone,

Its time for me to buy a new mac! Ive been waiting for lion to be released so the time is coming near. Anyway my budget is around $2,500 and ill mostly be working with adobe suite/fcs editing hd footage and maybe some 3D footage soon. So here are my options so far...keep in mind I will be adding 16 gb to each set up within a few months of purchase:

21.5 in 2.8 i7 w/ 1 tb + 256 SSD or

27 in. 3.4 i7 w/ 2GB graphics card or

wait for base model new mac pro and load with ram.

Your thoughts?
  2. soco macrumors 68030

Dec 14, 2009
    Yardley, PA
    I say go with the upcoming iPod Nano. Call me crazy, but I sense something up their sleeves. Or rather, below it just under the cuff.

3. MacVibe macrumors regular

Dec 21, 2009
    A nano may fit his needs perfectly, who knows?
  4. darknite38 macrumors regular

Nov 18, 2010
    The iPod Shuffle baseline 2gb refurbished may be his best bet!
  5. Pollic02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2011
    the new nano can run fcs? maybe ill save my money and just get that. thanks!
  6. baysmith macrumors newbie

Nov 17, 2007
    West Coast BC
    Go with the SSD option for best performance. The 27" is perfect for CS work.
  7. omicron macrumors member

Jun 20, 2011
    Are you going to do CG? IF any software you use WILL take advantage of a graphics card for rendering output then go with the graphics card.

Although I will say that SSDs are quite nice. They cut my Windows boot time from 3 minutes to 30 seconds. This is from power on to actually being able to click on something and load that program.
  8. Pollic02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2011
    Right now im leaning towards the better graphics, and my reason/question is this...If I wait for an external ssd with thunderbolt, can I boot osx and run apps from the ssd and use the internal hdd for storage?
  9. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2011
    With $2,500, you can go with a base model of Mac Pro if you have a display.
  10. Pollic02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Jun 20, 2011
    yeah idk if i can wait much longer! maybe if i knew the definite specs of the new mac pro it might convince me to wait