Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrrippey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
been doing alot of reading on this forum (thanks all that have contributed).

Want to get an SSD, OCZ Vertex are very popular but it seems like Intel takes it. The newer Kingstons however seem to be rebadged Intel's (not sure if they are G1 or G2)

Can anyone elaborate, share experiences with Kingston (since they are cheaper it seems than Intel) and OCZ seem to be very hit or miss (more hit, I am sure)

Thanks in advance gang.

Rippey

antskip

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009
Australia
been doing alot of reading on this forum (thanks all that have contributed).

Want to get an SSD, OCZ Vertex are very popular but it seems like Intel takes it. The newer Kingstons however seem to be rebadged Intel's (not sure if they are G1 or G2)

Can anyone elaborate, share experiences with Kingston (since they are cheaper it seems than Intel) and OCZ seem to be very hit or miss (more hit, I am sure)

Thanks in advance gang.

Rippey
You should be very happy with any number of recent SSD's. In the real world, you will probably not be able to tell the difference. OCZ is not "hit and miss", any more than any other brand. They do make a variety of SSD's, so you need do your home work first, to pick the model you want.
In comparative reviews, you could start with two sets:http://hothardware.com/Articles/Fou...ux-OCZ-Corsair-Kingston-Super-Talent/?page=11.
http://hothardware.com/Articles/4Way-SSD-RoundUp-Redux-OCZ-Corsair-PhotoFast/?page=11
I have used a 120GB OCZ Summit Sansung-controlled SSD, and it has been brilliant. No complaints at all. Would I be as happy with other options? I am sure I would. :)

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
kingston way cheaper but definitely not playing in the same league as Intel

you can find some comparative tests and reviews online

Intel has so far the best performance (random write and read, which are the most important), is the most compatible brand with our mac and the lowest drop in performance in time...
not to mention the 3-year warranty

n8kwx

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2008
Kingston sold G1 (Gen 1) Intel drives under private label (Intel makes the drive - Kingston puts their sticker on it).

Beware. Don't know if and when Intel will sell them G2 drives. So the current Kingston drives are probably the old ones...

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
The 80GB models are Gen 1 Intel drives. The 64gb ones are samsungs. In the first case it's just a different sticker. Everything else is identical as the intel. Most of the times though the Kingstons were more expensive, making no sense.

mrrippey

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2009
thanks for the insights. I think the kingstons I have been seeing are the older jmicron versions and not intel.

since the intel's are getting very pricey and hard to find, I may try to get an OCZ Vertex or Summit. Same price so I am trying to figure out which will be better in my 13" uMBP

Gabriel GR

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Athens, Greece
I'd say wait a couple of weeks. Intel will fix the supply channels and prices will return to normal. I live in Greece and prices have not been affected by the shortage simply because there is not enough demand to clear the supplies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.