Looking to buy - which firmware etc

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Xorro, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Xorro macrumors regular

Xorro

Right, I have decided that I would really like an iPhone 3G. However I don't want to buy one on contract. Could someone answer the below for me please?

Which firmware do I need, to be able to jailbreak and unlock it?
    I assume once unlocked it will work with my UK Vodafone payg sim?
    Do I need a mobile me account?
    Do I need an iTunes account?
    Will it matter if it's been 'registered' to someone else?

Is there anything else I need to be aware of, specification wise, when looking for a used iPhone?

thanks.

2. JohnFa macrumors regular

1. Doesn't matter which firmware since Dev Team has been able to jailbreak and unlock 3.0. So whatever firmware you get, you can just update using iTunes and thne jailbreak and unlock.

2. It will work with your UK Vodafone payg sim.

3. Not if you don't want one :p

4. You will need an iTunes account if you wanna buy stuff from iTunes. Otherwise you won't need it. Wouldn't hurt to get one though.

5. It doesn't matter if it's been registered to someone else. You will be able to set it up as a new phone in iTunes.

Since they've been able to jailbreak and unlock 3.0 there's really nothing else you need to look for. Before you had to get a phone that was on 2.2 firmware since the, then newest, 2.2.1 wasn't unlockable. Now it doesn't matter anymore.

You should really get one. I'm, along with more or less everyone else, are crazy pleased with it. I've had mine since September and I still find myself just fiddling with it for no reason when watching tv etc. :D

3. Xorro thread starter macrumors regular

Xorro

4. JohnFa macrumors regular

No problem! I remember before I bought my phone, I had all these questions but could never find the answer by just searching forums. Glad I could help!

5. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Also, I don't think that the 3GS or the 3G is unlockable on 3.0.

I might be wrong though.

I thought that the 3.0 unlock was only for first gen?

6. shvartsies macrumors regular

Nah man. 3.0 Jailbreak will be available today, the unlock, which will be dubbed Ultrasn0w, is being released friday.