Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cschaeffer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I am looking to purchase my first MAC for my home. I have always used a PC and I am sick of my kids downloading viruses. I am also looking for a more stable operating system than windows. I am looking for anyone who can give me advise on what to buy and any other cmments that will push me over the edge. My wife is a sceptic when it comes down to MAC.

Another reason I am leaning is because I own 4 ipods and love the ease of managing and configuring them.

Any comments will be appreciated.

ezzie

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2006
Baltimore, MD
well, for starters, what do you use your computer for besides music?

web browsing? gaming? any photo editing? are there any special requirements you have?

a little more information is all we need!

cschaeffer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
I want a desktop, I use it to search the web, manage pictures. Just basic things, I want to get into some photo and video editing of my kids sports.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
Go for the iMac. It'll be up to you to decide which screen size (the 24" iMac is a beauty though!). Remember to max out the ram if at all possible. I would find and online vendor to get the ram cheeper.

Nuc

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
Melbourne, Australia
For what you want to do a Mac is the perfect computer. As for what to buy? Go buy the 24" iMac with the Nvidia 7600 option, 2 GB RAM, and a HDD as big as you think you'll need. Your wife won't need any convincing once you fire that thing up. :D

cschaeffer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
The guy at the Apple Store says that the 1 GB of Ram is Sufficent, being a novice I do not know. Help me in determining.

Also, I want to do some video editing of my kids sports as well as photos. Is thier a program that is recommended.

Thx

smueboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2006
Oz
for the usage you plan 1GB should be fine, but equally, 2GB wouldn't hurt.

The Mac will come with iLife, including iMovie for video editing, iDVD for making DVDs of your vids, and iPhoto for organising and editing the photos. There are other apps that you can also try for these things, but i'd recommend starting with these - they are great and included with the mac.

cschaeffer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
Well, I did it. I placed my order at the Online Apple Store.

I ordered a 20inch iMac w/ 2 gb of memory w/ the wirteless keyboard and mouse. I also gfot Final Cut Express and Office for Mac. I am excited, now I have to wit for it to arrive.

Thanks, everyone for thier help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.