Looking to Change to Mac for office...

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by u0x, Oct 6, 2018.

1. u0x macrumors newbie

u0x

Is it a bad idea to buy a mac mini right now? I only need the mini for general web browsing (most of the programs we use are all cloud based) and imessage. Not sure what would be the most cost effective for our offices. looking for opinions

2. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

Wait. It hasn’t been updated for 4 years, and the price hasn’t dropped. There’s going to be an event this month, probably focused on iPads, but there is a small chance of an updated Mac mini - though people have been saying that for 4 years, continually disappointed. An Intel NUC offers far better value - up to date components, and sensible prices. Is iMessage really that important? Really? What do you use it for that Skype, WhatsApp, or eleventy billion other messaging apps don’t offer?

3. u0x thread starter macrumors newbie

u0x

to be honest, i would say 50% of my business is through texting the other 40% through email and 10% calls so its pretty important

4. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/mac-mini
    The buyers guide says don’t buy, but 50% of your business is a lot. You can probably afford a few hundred dollars if it pays for itself in increased business - the calculation is different for personal use.

How do you do text business at the moment? Have you tried pushbullet?https://www.pushbullet.com/

5. u0x thread starter macrumors newbie

u0x

I've used pushbullet for Android before, but I recently switched everything I own to iOS, does it work for sending/receving text from an ios device on a windows PC?

6. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

No, Android only. The Apple ecosystem works very well if everything is Apple, but they lock it down tight - this is good for stability, and can enable “magical” things, but as soon as you try to mix and match, the restrictions start to chafe. That’s why I’m scaling the walls of the garden, but that’s beside the point.

iOS has only one way of sharing texts between devices, which is iMessage, which is only available on Apple devices.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 6, 2018 ---
    Windows and Android are getting closer integration, and native text forwarding (well they will when the October update is restored...). Outside of Apple, pretty much everything works with everything else, but Apple refuses to work with others. It’s ok if you’re all Apple, but with slow Mac updates, and expensive iOS devices, it’s becoming increasingly difficult to recommend.

7. FNH15 macrumors 6502

If you can hold off, hold off. An update is around the corner. Apple hasn't updated the Mini partly because suitable processors haven't been available to them, from what I understand, that fit their power requirements, but the 8th gen chips were just released by Intel.

Alternatively, consider a refurb iMac: https://www.apple.com/shop/product/FMQA2LL/A/Refurbished-215-inch-iMac-23GHz-dual-core-Intel-Core-i5
    Retina display is $100 more.

8. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

DO NOT buy a Mini "right now".
    The current design (the one for sale by Apple RIGHT NOW) is FOUR YEARS old -- from 2014.

A possible update may come later this month (or afterwards).
    No one here knows for sure.

If you need a non-laptop Mac RIGHT NOW, buy an iMac. But that's the subject of another thread.

9. sublunar macrumors 6502a

Indeed it is, but the iMac currently on sale is from 2017 and is more likely than the Mac Mini to be updated this month for a 2018 model even though articles may point to a Mini update this month at the same time.

General web browsing and iMessage could be performed with an iPad, by the way. And the high end ones are highly likely to be updated this month too - the 2018 model 'cheap' iPad was launched earlier this year and might be worth coming at for that sort of casual stuff.