Looking to convert my MDD to SATA

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by WalnutSpice, Oct 8, 2015.

1. WalnutSpice, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015

WalnutSpice Suspended

WalnutSpice

So I purchased a bag of random cords and wires at goodwill for $8 and one of the wires was a Molex to the newer SATA style power connection, So I figured this is a sign for me to just do this upgrade. I've been looking for PCI Sata controllers that just work on an MDD but can only find dead links. I want something that just works with no flashing required.
    so if someone could give me some tips on a sure fire PCI SATA controller or just leave me a link to one I can purchase, it'd help a lot. Also, $20 or under would be nice.

Edit- If it matters, my MDD is a 1GHz FW800 model

2. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

If you want a sure-fire, no flash solution look for a Sonnet Tempo.

http://www.sonnettech.com/product/tempo_serial_ata.html

They don't meet your price criteria, but work great and really are plug and play. Most Sonnet products are, which is why they command a premium when new and on the resale market.

If you just want to install SATA drives and not boot off of them, any generic SATA card with a Silicon Image chipset should work. You will need to buy the correct chipset and flash it if you want to boot.

My hotrod DA has the Sonnet Tempo running and single 500gb WD Blue and it works perfectly.

3. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

Okay, wow yeah. Thats a tad bit expensive. I would need to boot off of the SATA drive so I guess I'll just save up for one of these.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

No flashing? Sonnet. You pay.

Inexpensive means flashing. I paid $10, flashed in 5 minutes and I have a two drive bootable SATA card.

Sorry but Sonnet is pretty much the only game. There are other cards that are Mac but they are harder to find and just as expensive.

5. jbarley, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2015

jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

I just recently installed a Sonnet card and xBench test results over the ide/sata bridge card I was using would indicate that cost wise it was a waste of money. ($79 vs $3) but what the hey that's what hobbies are all about. SATA card first (left) then IDE/SATA bridge card.
    These results are using an SSD, the card might fare better with a platter drive.
    MDD_SATA.JPG MDD-bridge.JPG

6. LightBulbFun macrumors 6502a

LightBulbFun

while a SATA card might not make much sense for you in this case... think of older Macs than that your not going to get far on the SCSI bus of a 9500 now will you? these sonnet cards work basically with any mac that has a PCI slot heh (I think they can boot all the way back to System 7.5) the cards are Rebranded seritek cards from what I have seen. one thing the cards you flash cant do is boot OS9 they boot OS X fine but will not boot OS9

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

For me, the intent to go to SATA was not just for speed. I realized when I installed my card that I would never attain the true speeds my SATA drives are capable of.

However, I can use large hard drives and when/if it comes time for replacing I'm not having to hunt down PATA drives that are becoming scarce. And while I do not get full speed, the speed I do get is faster than that of my old PATA drives/bus and it works for me.

Lastly, and this is one of the more important things to me…it brings an old Mac into a current era.

8. WalnutSpice thread starter Suspended

WalnutSpice

What card are you using? Whats the flashing process like?

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Take a look here: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/guide-to-flashing-pc-sil3112-sata-cards-for-mac.1690231/

This is the card I got. Note that the link is now only useable for reference.

Here is my post in the first link I gave you: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...112-sata-cards-for-mac.1690231/#post-18569887

The flashing was quick and it was easy. In fact, it seems to be the only flashing I've done for any kind of PC card that has gone right.