Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ucla74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
I use my 24" iMac and my MacBook pro interchangeably. I am looking for a way to maintain near-identical synchronization between the desktop and the laptop--preferably via network connection rather than Firewire.

Can I dump my Time Machine backup from the iMac to the MBP, or do I need some other 3rd party app? I'm not so concerned about email and contacts (I use Gmail) or bookmarks (Xmarks), as I am applications and settings, as well as documents.

iGrant

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2006
Ridgeway
I use my 24" iMac and my MacBook pro interchangeably. I am looking for a way to maintain near-identical synchronization between the desktop and the laptop--preferably via network connection rather than Firewire.

Can I dump my Time Machine backup from the iMac to the MBP, or do I need some other 3rd party app? I'm not so concerned about email and contacts (I use Gmail) or bookmarks (Xmarks), as I am applications and settings, as well as documents.

Might want to look into ChronoSync, its the closest thing I can find that will do what you want to do.

Here is an article on how to do what you want . . . I think:

Home-To-Home Sync

-iGrant

Ucla74

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2009
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I can't see that this confirms what I most want to know: If I add an app to my desktop, will the sync install the app on my laptop? I'm simply trying to avoid multiple downloads/installs of the same software.

Obviously, syncing documents, contacts, etc., is pretty easy; it would seem that Time Machine could be used for what I want to do, if it will recognize more than one computer for restore purposes.

EDIT: A closer reading of the linked page more or less confirms that what I want to do is a Bad Idea. So, Synergy for the win!

Thanks again for the reply!

Might want to look into ChronoSync, its the closest thing I can find that will do what you want to do.

Here is an article on how to do what you want . . . I think:

Home-To-Home Sync

-iGrant

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.