Looking to duplicate iMac to MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ucla74, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Ucla74 macrumors newbie

I use my 24" iMac and my MacBook pro interchangeably. I am looking for a way to maintain near-identical synchronization between the desktop and the laptop--preferably via network connection rather than Firewire.

Can I dump my Time Machine backup from the iMac to the MBP, or do I need some other 3rd party app? I'm not so concerned about email and contacts (I use Gmail) or bookmarks (Xmarks), as I am applications and settings, as well as documents.

2. iGrant macrumors 6502a

Might want to look into ChronoSync, its the closest thing I can find that will do what you want to do.

Here is an article on how to do what you want . . . I think:

Home-To-Home Sync

-iGrant

3. Ucla74 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, I can't see that this confirms what I most want to know: If I add an app to my desktop, will the sync install the app on my laptop? I'm simply trying to avoid multiple downloads/installs of the same software.

Obviously, syncing documents, contacts, etc., is pretty easy; it would seem that Time Machine could be used for what I want to do, if it will recognize more than one computer for restore purposes.

EDIT: A closer reading of the linked page more or less confirms that what I want to do is a Bad Idea. So, Synergy for the win!

Thanks again for the reply!