Looking to free up space on my parents iPad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by xploituk, May 4, 2016.

1. xploituk macrumors newbie

xploituk

I hate to say this but for the past year or more Ive been an android user (sorry!) but my parents have asked me to help them free up space on their iPad.

I read that you can turn on photo sharing and then create a new stream, add the existing videos and pics to the stream and then do a backup. After doing this the available iCloud space is still the same and logging into icloud.com doesnt show any photos.

Can someone help me? We have purchased the 50GB iCloud space but just need to know how to get the 5GB of pics / vids off the iPad and onto the iCloud space instead.

Thanks in advance!

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

If they're not syncing with a computer, you would be better off having them use Google photos or Dropbox to automatically backup their pics and then just delete them from the iPad.

You can't see your photos from iCloud.com (still stupid), and if you delete a photo from your device while syncing to iCloud, it will also delete it from iCloud.

3. xploituk thread starter macrumors newbie

xploituk

I thought there was a way to see photos that were stored in icloud on the iPad without them being stored on the device itself too?

Difference between camera roll and photostream ?

4. ericwn macrumors 6502a

You need to check the iCloud settings and enable iCloud photo library I think.

5. ericwn macrumors 6502a

Can you elaborate why you recommend to give ones data to another cloud solution? What day to day improvement will the user have? Thanks in advance!

6. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Because unlike iCloud, Dropbox and Google work the way they were designed, and work well all the time. Try them both yourself and see.

7. ericwn macrumors 6502a

Sorry not interested and your description did nothing to change it. Which iCloud services are not working the way they were designed then? "Try it out" is hardly making a point in this question.

8. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

You can't see your iCloud photos online. If you delete a photo in your camera roll is gone forever from your photo stream as well.

With either of the other two, you can view your photos online or from their apps. If you wipe your entire camera roll, your photos are still on their server.