Looking to "Game" on Apple Notebook ...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Adamapple, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Adamapple macrumors member

Would like to get back into gaming, specifically WOW Legion, and others. I purchased a HP Gaming Laptop the other day, but honestly, cannot stand Windows 10, or the weight, feel of it. I would like to play at medium to high graphic levels on a Mac ... is this possible??

I use my Mid '13 Macbook Air on a daily basis, but it really doesn't cut it for gaming. I also have a '11 Mac Mini, but I would really like a Laptop ...

Opinions????

2. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

3. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

Don't bother.

A Mac runs a game like an amputee runs a marathon (and I don't mean Oscar Pistorius).

The dGPU will probably fail before too long.

4. T5BRICK macrumors G3

T5BRICK

Of course it's possible.

If you have no other choice, gaming on a Mac is ok. Just ok. The 15" rMBP with the discrete GPU would be your best choice for a portable.

Keep in mind that Windows is going to run more games and it'll run them better in most cases.

Personally, I don't game on my Mac. I've got an older desktop PC that my wife built in 2010 and I've thoroughly upgraded that we can play games on.

5. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

The new Skylake Macbook Pros will run WoW just fine, regardless if you run the 13 or 15. The iGPU will be fine. I can play WoW on my 13" from 2013 with HD4000 (which is borderline for gaming).

6. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Assuming that Apple ever releases such a machine. And assuming that they don't cripple said machine like they usually do.

So, if Apple started selling rebranded PC's that they slap an Apple sticker on, then yes gaming may finally be a reasonable expectation of a Mac.

But, for the record, Macs have never been known for their gaming performance.

7. leman macrumors G3

To play more demanding games, you need a faster GPU. The only MBP that can reasonably deal with such scenarios is the 15" with the M370X. Most games will run better under Windows because of a) better driver quality and b) game-specific driver optimisations. All in all, Macs do not offer best value for gaming.

P.S. I play games on my M370X and haven't ad a reason to complain yet.

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

The high end MBP would probably suit you fine. And with the forthcomming MBP update, highly likely to be bundled with the new AMD GPU's, they should run WOW beautifully.

9. vatter69 macrumors 6502a

vatter69

Yep - only talking WOW which uses a fairly old engine. Modern games will not run on it.

10. friedkimchi macrumors regular

friedkimchi

Just think of it this way, the current best rMBP with the AMD gpu is weaker than Nvidia's budget 950m based laptops in gaming.

That's how bad Macs are in terms of gaming.

Have you looked at external GPU solution using the TB 2/3 port?

11. ljjycss macrumors member

ljjycss

Can you do gaming on a laptop or a macbook? Yes you can. However, if you want to play at medium to high graphic levels or any kind of serious gaming. I suggest a console(cheaper and simpler solution, no RTS or WOW though) or full tower desktop. To be honest, laptop is not an ideal platform for gaming(including those high end huge gaming laptop), you pay more for less CPU and GPU power, especially GPU power. External GPUs are expensive, huge and often coming with performance sacrifices. Cooling is also not good on laptop, which can cause serious throttle. If you have enough space for a tower, I suggest a tower.

12. killaz05 macrumors member

killaz05

Yes you can game on a mac laptop. Are you looking at running GTAV on high settings? No but WoW and other such as League of Legends (my game of choice) are not as graphically intensive and can run on high settings without an issue. I have the base model MacBook Pro 15 with the iGPU and run League at 60+FPS at 1080p (monitor) no problem at high settings. The fans will kick on high bit I leave the laptop on a desk where it has plenty of room to breathe. I will go for hours playing League and the system has no issues. It gets warm but not extremely hot.

I would be interested to see how the dGPU system will do. I expect it to perform leaps and bounds better than the iGPU system as far as games like league and WoW. It therefor shouldn't break a sweat playing those games. New games, I suggest lowering the settings a bit. You can run them at 720p which is basically what the consoles run them at anyways. Few titles can the consoles run at 1080p.

So all in all you should be fine with a new MacBook pro setup as far as gaming. Just be aware of your limits on how much GPU power you have. Would a dedicated gaming tower work better? Of course! but then you would need to have two systems. One laptop for your mobility needs and one tower just for gaming. The MacBook Pro has power for everything I need in one package. I hope this helps you :)

13. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

You can game on a MBP, equally it`s not it`s designed for the purpose. Personally I would hold off and see what the upcoming 2016 MBP offers, as the dGPU will be hopefully much better than the current models, equally there`s good reason why gaming notebooks are much thicker due to the cooling requirements...

OP Stick with your Mac, for everything else, stick with a Windows notebook or desktop for gaming, or pickup a console.

Q-6

14. smelly cat macrumors regular

smelly cat

I game on a 15" MBP with the Intel Iris Pro graphics. It's surprisingly capable. I play games like Tomb Raider, Arkham City, and Bioshock Infinite in OS X perfectly fine. If gaming is your primary concern, byu something else, but gaming on the Mac has come a long way.

15. asoksevil macrumors 6502

You can certainly game on a MBP, hell I game on my 2010 MBA (Heroes of the Storm, Guild Wars 2, WoW, Diablo 3, etc. I have around 30 fps with the lowest settings possible (including resolution.)

16. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

That is not quite true. DirectX only came around to get people to play games on Windows instead of DOS. People only played games on DOS because Apple under the Pepsi CEO decided they didn't want to be known as a platform for games anymore.

There was a time when businesses wouldn't buy Apple computers because they where known for games. You can thank the Pepsi CEO for killing games and nearly killing Apple.

When I was a kid I remember playing Oregon Trail and where in the world is carman San Diego in the classroom Apple IIe

17. sweejin macrumors member

Really?! I wanted to download & install Guild Wars 2 on my 2011 i5 MBA 4GB RAM, but I saw the minimum requirements and thought I wouldn't be able to run it. Maybe I should give it a try.....

18. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

The Apple IIe is not a Mac.

And the titles you mention were more like interactive and educational steps through history, with mostly still pictures (as opposed to games). Basically presenting learning material in a way that felt more fun than just memorizing text books.

Yes, the Apple IIe was commonly used for games and educational software.

It's graphics and sound capabilities were simple compared to Atari and Commodore computers. But it was adequate for the time.

People didn't buy Apple IIe computers for business tasks simply because it wasn't up to the task of competing with the IBM PC XT or the AT in the business field.

Apple did kill its ties to the education market though, when it abandoned the Apple II series and switched entirely to Macs.

The Apple IIe was an affordable machine for the schools. And the IIc made it even more affordable.

Schools had computer labs packed with Appld II, II+, IIe, IIc, and even a few IIgs computers. And large libraries of educational software.

So when Apple pulled the plug, what options were left for them?

They could invest in more expensive Macintosh machines, with relatively few software titles available (compared to the Apple II and IBM PC Series), and be taking a gamble because Apple had already abruptly abandoned support for a computer the schools had huge investments in.

Or, they could switch to the IBM PC, XT, AT series which showed stability, and was clearly the future of the majority of the workplace.

Naturally, the schools chose to switch to teaching on the same machines that the kids would be using in the workplace as adults.

It made more sense than taking another gamble on Apple. And it paid off for the schools too. The PC series was cheaper than the Macintosh, they had more software to choose from, and the kids learned to use the machines they would use as adults.

19. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

I'm not going to split hairs over one being called a Mac and another wasn't. They where Apple desktops.

Apple decided to try to take the PC pie and abandon it's segment and in the process lost it's core market.

If Apple had focused on games on the Mac I seriously doubt gaming on DOS would have taken off let alone Windows.

Wishfully Metal marks a change in perspective but the proof is in the hardware. The MacBook line restricts dedicated graphics to the $2500 model.

The mini has no discreet graphics. You have to buy a 27" iMac. Plus not one true desktop chip meant for games. The closest we get is 3 year old pro chips in a can.

The truth is right now we are in a chicken or the egg situation. If we want games on the Mac we have to show companies that they can make money bringing the games to the macOS App Store. The sad fact remains though that I really doubt we will see a real gaming machine from Apple. They are too proud to admit they where wrong even if gaming Macs would prove more profitable then iPhones.

Unlike phones flagship gaming machines have short life spans and cost a premium.

20. btbam91 macrumors regular

21. Pineapples23 macrumors member

Agreed with btbam91 above me. DONT DO IT. The macbook pro gaming is pretty bad. You may be able to play games at low-to medium settings, the current ones. It's slow, your frame rates won't be good. It will become a nuisiance. But if you try to play future games, its bad news from there and you realized you paid $2000+ for a mbp + dGPU for nothing. A

Whatever you do, step away from the MBP.

22. MacAlien macrumors 6502

MacAlien

WoW now has pretty hefty requirements. Far as Apple laptops, the 15" MBP (2015) really isn't too great since Blizzard is trying to implement Metal, which of course depends on Apple doing something simple like, keeping their stuff up to date but we all know that'll fall to the wayside eventually. WoW had a simpler requirement before the current pre-expansion patch. Now, not so much. My MBP has plenty of issues with the game now. Other MBPs are even worse off. Get used to Windows 10 (it's really not bad after a week or two adjusting to it.). Stick with the PC laptop with better GPU, CPU and such.

23. EnderBeta macrumors 6502

EnderBeta

Razor has a Blade Stealth that looks promising especially when paired with the external enclosure.

24. asoksevil macrumors 6502

You have to think that these requirements are fairly "safe" to ensure a smooth and playable experience. But, as we all know, everybody mileage may vary so I am comfortable with 30 fps for MOBAs like HOTS and 20-30 FPS on GW2. Both games are way more CPU intensive than GPU so your Sandy Bridge processor certainly feels like a breeze compared to my old Core 2 Duo.

This is why I actually don't like "minimum requirements" because the minimum threshold of what's playable or not playable is set by you, not them. HOTS says only 2011+ onward machines are capable but I game on my 2010 and I know people who do on 2008-2009 Macs, which is pretty crazy considering HOTS is a 2014-2015 game (using an old engine though).

You should certainly go ahead and try it since it's Free to Play.

25. MacAlien macrumors 6502

MacAlien

Very true. My delusional dream would be Apple adopting something like this to keep their MBPs like, up to date and up to snuff with every other computer companies. But that'll start happening in maybe...never. lol

Right now, not a single Mac can play WoW: Legion on High. Medium pushes it even. Doesn't help Blizz still trying to support Metal without very much support for that by Apple. Look at Razer laptops, adamapple. There's also ASUS, Ghost (MSI) which are super nice, though maybe too hardcore. But just don't buy a Mac expecting to play WoW decently at the moment unless you get the most expensive one which isn't worth it.