Looking to get a 15in mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bennyboyraptor, May 6, 2009.

1. bennyboyraptor macrumors newbie

Hey everyone, I have been looking to get a new laptop for a while now, I am currently trying to sell my dirt bike to help get some money for a laptop, A guy called and offered me a black 160gig 2.4 ghz macbook pro for my bike. I was just wondering if that is a good model and what its worth, I was looking to go 2300 for my bike.

thanks!

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

A black MacBook Pro? Unless it was painted, there is no such thing. That computer is not worth $2300 either, considering a 2.53GHz MBP is $2000 new.

3. bennyboyraptor thread starter macrumors newbie

maybe its not black.. But about how much would it be worth? I was thinking he could give me the macbook + a few hundred dollars. What do you think would be fair?

thanks

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. bennyboyraptor thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm in Utah, salt lake area. I am mainly just looking for a good ballpark range, I am really considering trading, i just want to know how much cash to ask for. And is the mbp 15 a good choice? This will be my first Mac.

6. kindablue09 macrumors regular

kindablue09

Well, you should really take a good look at the computer before buying, considering (s)he called it a black mbp. You should ask for at least $700 if you are trading your bike, depending on the model and its condition.

A refurb from the apple store is $1700
    http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB470LL/A?mco=MjE0NjE5MA

A good way of telling how much wear and tear the computer may have on it is to download coconut battery onto it and check the battery cycles (assuming (s)he was a mobile user).

Personally, I would just collect the 2300 for the bike and go refurb, that way you can exchange it w/in 14 days if there is a problem with it. Plus, you will have the full 1 year of apple care.

7. bennyboyraptor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info kindablue. He said he bought it new 2 months ago, and has the receipt to prove it. My bike books at 2300, I was only hoping to get 2100, So do you think the mbp+500 would be fair?

8. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

Hey I'm in Salt Lake area too. :)

Yeah, 15inch MBP is a good choice for a first Mac. You'll love its bright and glossy screen. But I think that for 2300, you can get a 2.8Ghz MBP. Take a look at this http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac?mco=MTE3NjY

It's much better to buy at the Apple refurb store.

Hope it helps!

9. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Seems a bit odd that if it's a 2.4GHZ MBP that's 2 months old, that it only has a 160GB HDD. I've got the entry level version and the minimum HDD size is 250GB.

10. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

Find out which MacBook it is first. There is no black MacBook Pro. There is no current MBP with a 160GB hard drive or less. He may be lying about the specs or something.

11. bennyboyraptor thread starter macrumors newbie

maybe he bought it 2 months ago, its just not a newer model. If I got the serial number or something would that help determine which model it really is? Im assuming its this model http://www.google.com/products/cata...&cid=10839146037916844904&sa=title#ps-sellers but I honestly have no idea. Ill give him a call.

12. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

I would personally just sell the bike and either buy a new MBP or a refurbished one from Apple. The specs this guy gave you are pretty... strange... as in they don't line up.

13. runebinder macrumors 6502a

runebinder

Yes the S/N would be able to give you further info. Personally if it's one of the earlier models then I agree with what everyone else has suggested and sell your bike and buy a refurb Unibody MBP, got one myself last week and love it.

Least that way you know without a doubt that you are getting a full years warranty and save some money at the same time.

14. bennyboyraptor thread starter macrumors newbie

well he finally got me some pics, so here they are. Any one know what model this is?

Attached Files:

15. La-vida227 macrumors member

MacBook Pro (15-inch Core 2 Duo)
    Serial #: W8703568W0G
    United States
    Out of Warranty

16. bennyboyraptor thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, is this a good computer? How much do you think it is worth?

17. Patriks7 macrumors 65816

Patriks7

Looks pretty bad, since it's out of warranty. And if he really got it 2 months ago, that thing might have had quite different users before him.
    It seriously is much more worth it to sell your bike and go refurb/new.

18. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

according to that serial it is a late 2006 model, so you are talking about it's worth being under a $1000. im with the ppl that say sell your bike for cash and buy a new or refurb MBP.

19. DYER macrumors 6502

I agree with that entirely.
    Sell your bike and then go out and get a new macbook or macbook pro depending on what you need. I would not buy something out of warranty as you will get stung badly if anything goes wrong. also that probably has the 8600mgt which has been classified pretty much as a timebomb... ie they fail due to a fault in manufacturing so i would be very wary if i were you.

20. angemon89 macrumors 68000

angemon89

I wouldn't get it either. Who knows what kind of problems it may have. Just sell your bike, and get the latest model refurb with money to spare.

21. bennyboyraptor thread starter macrumors newbie

k thats probably what ill do, thanks alot for the help everyone

22. m1stake macrumors 68000

It's the 2006 model, it has the X1600 in it. The 8600GT laptop part was released in March 2007. :rolleyes:

23. DYER macrumors 6502

Fair point :eek:
    Then I would say it's deff not worth it :D
    Sorry about that