Looking to get a dog.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Simgar988, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

I'm looking to get a dog. I'm a 21yo guy that lives in an apartment. What kinda dog should I get? I've had labs before and love them but am afraid it may be too big.

pictures are great

thanks

also, good training resources? onlineor books

2. TechieJustin macrumors 6502

TechieJustin

Yorkshire terrier? Small, but they live long.

3. achie25 macrumors 6502

Not sure. Research the breeds. But I would like to make a plug for you to rescue a dog. We did 7 years ago and we were VERY happy to get such a great dog.

Petfinder

4. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Since you live in an apartment you'll want to look at smaller dogs probably. I personally would recommend spaniels, I've had a cocker spaniel for 10 years and I love that dog.

5. pooky macrumors 6502

What do you want to do with the dog? What is your lifestyle like? How big is your apartment? Are you (and thus your dog-to-be) high or low energy? Since you live in an apartment, if you get a high-energy breed, are you willing to give it vigorous exercise pretty much every day (be honest).

Size is much less important than energy level. Some small breeds make terrible apartment dogs, and some giant breeds are great in apartments. I'd recommend a St. Bernard over some of the Terriers any day in an apartment situation.

Edit: I lived for a year in an apartment with an australian shepherd, one of the highest energy breeds. It worked fine, mostly because she got a lot of frisbee/ball time.

6. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

Maybe you could get a rescue dog and just pick one that seems to click with you. Retired Greyhounds are often in need of good homes. Even though they can run like the wind, their true nature is one of a couch potato.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I'd get something on the small size. Jack Russell, pug, beagle, mutt, etc. Stay away from face eaters like pitbulls.

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I would also recommend spaniels! He loves long walks and picks training up very easily, but you can't have mine!

Attached Files:

9. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I've owned a few dogs, and like already stated, it's important to choose one that's compatible with your temperament and energy level. And since you live in an apartment, it's also important to know what policies the building management has involving pets. Some don't like large and/or "aggressive" breeds.

It's best to research this subject a bit and be honest with yourself about what breeds you can really handle. High-energy breeds (especially "herding" types, like the German Shepherd, Border Collie, etc.) require lots of attention, training and exercise and because of this, they're often not the best apartment dogs. Plus, if you have inconsistent work hours or are away from home a lot, they can become quite the handful. If you can't devote a lot of time to a dog, you'd be best off with a low-energy breed (e.g. Greyhound, Pug, etc.).

But either way you go, don't forgot to give your dog daily exercise because any home is a large cage of sorts to dog. If you can't do this, you really shouldn't own a dog.

10. Patdt13 macrumors 6502

I think Cocker Spainels are great dogs. I have named Molly and she's awesome.

11. iTampon macrumors newbie

12. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

And they don't take up much room for their size. They are also pretty quiet and don't bark much which is good in an apartment.

They are, however, a large breed dog. As others have stated, some apartments limit the size dog you can have.

Attached Files:

13. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

Great dogs!--the meat is tender and sweet. greyhounds? Too stringy

14. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

WASSSSSSUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!:D

15. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

It all depends on your life style. I am a big fan of German Shepherds, but they have lots of energy, and need to get outdoors daily, if not twice daily. If you do not have a specific bread in mind, a rescue is a great option as others have mentioned.

16. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

Kamera RAWr

They also are very prone to hip problems and whatnot. My aunt is a vet and does work for the local K-9 units as well. Do you research. Some breeds ARE more prone to certain problems, which could be costly. You really need to think about the cost of ownership.

17. Ttownbeast macrumors 65816

whatever breed you choose--get a puppy, toilet train it that eliminates a number of problems.

it is possible if my fiances old house cat did it so can a dog

18. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

Papillons are great apartment dogs. They're mild mannered, don't bark a lot (just enough to let you know someone's right outside your door). Very smart and trainable. Don't shed much at all. Hair vs. fur. This is a pic of mine sleeping with our cat.

19. BeckyG macrumors member

BeckyG

Devil's Advocate

I sometimes want a dog, too. I imagine myself happily walking with it and giving it treats as a prize for doing some new trick.

THEN...

I think about having to wake up in the middle of the night to let it outside to go to the bathroom. I live in a house with a yard, so it wouldn't be so bad...but in an apartment situation I would imagine you would have to keep the dog on a leash and stand there while it does its business.

I also think about it teething and chewing all my stuff! My friend's freakin' dog chewed 2 pair of my shoes and I didn't even live in the house with it. It just chewed everything. One day she came home from work and it had her new MAC lip liner chewed up all over her leather sofa! Looked like a 4 year old was drawing all over the sofa. I'm telling you - thousands of dollars in chewed up stuff!

Then, what if you don't get home in time for the dog's bathroom break? It might go to the bathroom in your apartment! Then you have to clean your floors right away or your place is going to stink! And, being 21...I would imagine you may be 'entertaining guests' so you don't want your place to smell like a kennel.

Shedding could be a problem too. So, either buy tons of tape or a bunch of lint rollers to have handy. I can't stand seeing dog hair on clothing - it's gross really.

Then there is the barking. What if ya get a yapper??? Your neighbors will love you.

And finally, I think, there will be dog toys all over the place. And they are slimy slobbery - yuck.

No, more:

Fleas. :eek:

Vet bills. You don't want to neglect it's health.

Food costs.

Accessories.

Just sayin'... I shouldn't own a dog. You should think about all this stuff and if these things wouldn't bother you then go for it. I got a book once, "Woman's Best Friend" which lets you answer questions and it steers you toward a dog that would be a good match for you. Maybe there is some online thing that would serve the same purpose.

Good luck!

20. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

21. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Greyhounds can be agressive, so just be aware of that. They are sight hounds, and those that have been raced (especially) have been trained to follow that hunting instinct.

Also, to those suggesting rescues, that does not preclude the need to research dog breeds. There are many purebred rescues available and mutts will still retain the physical and mental characteristics of their base breeds.

In order to find a dog breed that fits you there are a lot of questions you need to ask. First (and maybe foremost), what does your landlord allow? If there is a weight limit of 40 pounds that will nix a lot of suggestions right off the top. Also, if you are facing a weight restriction, make sure you keep that in mind if you look at a puppy from a rescue. Guessing a mixed breed puppy's origins can be a complete tossup, and there are many many cases of people adopting what are expected to be medium size dogs and end up with a 100+ pound adult dog. This isn't helped by the fact that, unfortunately, some rescue facilities will lie about a dogs age, breed or predicted weight just to get it out the door.

Next, be honest with yourself about how active you are. Dogs have some basic needs, and the top three are food/water, shelter, and exercise. Yes, they need your love and compassion, but if they aren't healthy and fit no amount of petting can fix it. If you love to run and want a companion for your workouts look at a medium to large breed that is known for its energy. If you're more of a couch potato who only enjoys a shorter daily walk then a small or less energetic dog is going to be right for you.

Consider your space. How big is your apartment? Is an energetic dog going to feel cooped up, regardless of you daily exercise? There are large breeds that can adapt well to small environments, and there are small breeds that need space. Consider the size of your space in addition to the size the dog.

Consider the environment you live in. Different dogs have different health requirements that change with the area they are in. For example, I have two westies, and westies are notorious for their allergy problems. That means I need access to premium foods that won't upset their stomachs. It also means that, living in southern california where every season is allergy season, it takes more effort (read: time and money) on my part to keep their skin in good condition. If you live in Phoenix, Arizona and like to be outside a lot (especially in the summer) a breed like a pug, or any other with a short snout, isn't going to be a good choice since it can't regulate it's body temperature as well as a dog with a long snout.

Look at things like known breed health problems: are you really prepared to handle that $1500 hip displaysia surgery if you get a large breed that is prone to it? Consider shedding. Is it a breed known for separation disorders (incase you need to leave it alone)? Is it a breed that is easily trainable or is it known for being headstrong?

To sum this up in a shorter manner, you first post isn't enough information to recommend a good breed or type of dog for you. There is a lot to consider and the first step to keeping you and the dog happy and healthy is being honest with yourself about your habits, expectations, and the amount of time and effort you are willing to put into it.

I'll spare you my advice about training since this post is getting really long. If you'd like my opinion, just say so.

Good luck!

22. Andrew07 macrumors 6502

I'm a Lab lover as well. Loads of energy, though. Golden Retrievers also have wonderful temperaments; much more calm.

I would stay away from American Eskimos, however. My girlfriend has a miniature American Eskimo, and while he is tremendously loving, he is the most vocal dog I have ever heard. Barks, howls, whines, weird guttural sounds, etc. Incredibly hyper as well. lol. Beautiful dogs and, like I said, real sweethearts that just want attention...constantly.

Attached Files:

• 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      10.5 KB
      Views:
  23. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

You can avoid nearly all of these problems if you actually care for you dog like you're supposed to. Good thing you don't have a dog!

24. pooky macrumors 6502

Well, you and I are definitely in agreement on one thing :)