Looking to get a full HD System / Need Help, have questions..

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by dvsxlt247, Jan 11, 2008.

1. dvsxlt247 macrumors newbie

Im looking to get a full hd editing system with Final Cut along with the HVX-200 as well. My questions are the following....

Regarding Computer Hardware for Editing HD Video

1. What type of Hard Drives do i need that will handle HD video footage? Whats the difference between a SATA and RAID drive? What makes one better then other? What RPM speed should my hard drive that is going to run my Operating system be for editing HD video? What RPM speed should my hard drive be that will only hold my HD video files for editing? I mainly want o edit music videos with my setup but also will probably do some other things as well, shorty stories maybe. Not feature length stuff just yet, so would 500GB of empty hard drive space for the footage alone be enough for now atleast being that HD files are so big? I plan on doing music videos immediately like i said soo, i think 500GB should do it, what do u think?

2. What size video card is needed? Will a 256MB video card handle HD video footage enough to display it smoothly etc?

3. Ive heard that its better keep your video footage on an actual external hard drive outside of the computer tower, but is this needed? Why is it better? Could i just keep my footage on a seperate interal hard drive that is seperate from the one that has the operating system on it? Which way is going to give me better performance when editing those massive HD files? Will both be able to handle it either way?

4. Will an intel quad processor be more then enough to handle editing HD video?

Regarding the Panasonice HVX-200

1. Are P2 Cards better than a Panasonic Firestore 100GB hard drive? will a firestore hard drive accept all the video formats that the HVX can shoot? What is your opinion of the HVX? I love it, it looks amazing and the quality is unlike any other of its kind.

Any other info, suggestions or advice you can provideo me with if you have worked with that camera or know anything else that would be beneficial to me, it would be greatly apprecaited.Thank You.

2. HDproducer macrumors member

1. esata and Raid are totally different things. esata is a mode of transport like USB or Firewire. esata is much faster. It gives you the same speed as an internal sata drive. HD drives cannot read and write as fast as the esata connection. Even faster than esata is fiber channel. If you are doing uncompressed HD you will want to look into the fiber channel, but it is expensive. Drive speed ends up as the week link. That is were Raid comes in.

Raid can do two things. Data protection, increase speed or both. Do a search for Raid to learn more about the different options and how all this works. The easy answer is for video editing you will want to take advantage of both. Raid combines multiple drives to act as one, therefor increase overall speed. You are reading and writing to two or more drives at once. It also offers data protection so if a drive fails you don't lose all your captured footage. They have ways of rebuilding the lost date. Crazy computer voodoo magic. Spend some time on G-tech web site and that will help. They have graphs that will show you how many video streams the different drives can play back at once. They have nice drives for a decent price. You can find cheaper, but G-tech is a good brand. (Apple uses them for the set up at NAB) The raid drives are set up in an enclosure that will then use firewire, esata or fiber to link back to the computer.

10K RPM is better than 7200, but most people would tell you it is not worth the extra money. A larger capacity 7200 RPM that is not full will be fine. 500 GB will fill up fast. The P2 files are not too big but if your working with more than one project at a time you'll want a bigger drive. The price difference is not that much, I would go at least 750GB. 7200 rpm is fine for your boot drive as well.

2. The standard graphics cards in any Mac Pro will be fine. If your getting a new Mac Pro the 8800GT is worth the $200 bucks. Especially if you are going to be using Motion 3. More is better, but...its up to you.

3. It is important that you keep your video files on a separate drive. That way the drive with your footage only has to worry about playback, and your other drive can handle all of the system load. This could be an internal drive or external. If you are getting a tower you could do an internal raid.

If it helps I plan on getting a new set up next week and depending on what comes out of MW this is my plan.

3.0 processor. 8GB of third party ram so I will have total of 10. upgrade graphics card to 8800Gt. Upgrade to 500GB boot drive. two 1TB internal drives from third party Raid for speed. 2TB esata drive for back up, 1TB firewire for Time-machine. The back up drives maybe overkill but I don't want to buy another drive for a while.

Panasonic:
    I have not used the camera personally but it does get great reviews. I was looking into picking one up myself and I was a bit surprised at the actual image size. I think it records at 980X540 or something like that, but you can't argue with the final picture quality. I do believe that the firestore is storing the same files as the P2 cards.

I am holding off on getting anything new until NAB. If I was buying something today I would take a good look at the new Sony EX. It stores to Flash cards but it is based on a newer faster technology. It is at least worth taking a look at it.