Looking to get a new keyboard which one?

Merf

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 21, 2004
Northern California
Hi I'm looking to get a new keyboard here soon and I was wondering what has worked well for you? I would like to have all the volume control buttons and the eject button too. I have a nice Kensington Mouse I bought at an apple store a while ago. So I won't need a keyboard mouse combo set.

Thanks,

Merf

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I spilled beer on my original blue keyboard, and after resurrecting it twice, the third beer killed it (you'd think I'd learn). Anyway, I bought a ViewSonic SlimKU201 for around $20. Its USB with 2 USB ports on the side and has the volume controls, the eject key is F12. But the cool thing is that it looks/types like a laptop keyboard, very very easy touch. A little different in the beginning, but it has proven to be such an effortless keyboard. And very small footprint.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
OH! I have about 9 ADB Mac keyboards laying around if you want ;)
Funny, I don't remember having 9 Macs, where the hell did all of these keyboards come from?

iMacZealot

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2005
Yeah, I agree with what other people are saying... The Apple Keyboards are nice. What I like about them is that it looks like there aren't any edges around it from a distance.

Anyways, I haven't really caught onto the whole BlueTooth thing...Get it if you want, but I don't mind being tethered...Actually I like being tethered because you get two extra USB ports in the deal. I also like how Apple has lowered the price to $30...well, that was a while ago, but I bought mine when it was $50. Okay, bottom line: get a tethered Apple Keyboard. It works well, it looks good, and it has a reasonable price.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
But the Apple keyboard keys feel bad when you press them. Okay okay, maybe I should say that they don't feel particularly good. They feel quite average, so the only reason why I'd suggest them is to get the Apple labels on those keys.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Merf said:
Yeah I guess i should have said I have a MDD dual 867 just usb is my only option.

Merf
Get the Belkin adapter (the one they have at the Apple Store). You can get it for about £15 off eBay, and it works properly - even at bootup (supposedly - don't own one. Yet)

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
GimmeSlack12 said:
Funny, I don't remember having 9 Macs, where the hell did all of these keyboards come from?
Haha, reminds me of a friend. He got an old Quadra off eBay, and it came with 3 mice, but no keyboard :confused:

ham_man

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2005
Apple Wired Keyboard, or BT if you want to get an adapter. Works like a charm and has the volume buttons (and eject) on it too boot...

PaRaGoNViCtiM

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
PA
Go with the Bluetooth Apple Keyboard, or even the wired Apple Keyboard, stick with Apple!!! Nothing looks better than an all Apple setup!, thats what I'm going for!

cwerdna

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
The white Apple USB keyboard is HORRID and not even worth $5. The only good things about them are that they look nice and have the volume and eject keys. The keyboard feels terrible (mushy, too much resistance, slows me down, and feels like it drains energy from my fingers). I'm a touch typist and can do 80+ wpm sustained. I'd rather have the short key travel (but nicer feel) of a Powerbook keyboard.

On my main Mac at work, I have this other Macally keyboard that our lab was about to dump. I use that mainly and have the Apple white keyboard hooked up to the same machine only for the volume + eject keys.

My current favorite on the PC side is Keytronics keyboards w/"Ergo Force" technology.

It puzzles me (and some critics too) that Apple has fallen so flat in this department when they clearly can do better and have in the past.

I'm looking for something w/a similiar for something similiar but in USB for a future Mac I'm buying. Some of the older Apple ADB keyboards had nice feel (I'm talking keyboard from the Mac II era, possibly this one http://www.welovemacs.com/kybd-e2.html).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.