Looking to get a new macbook pro- its been a few years.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cookiemonster, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Cookiemonster macrumors regular

Cookiemonster

Hi all,

My current macbook pro that I bought back in 2007 is on its last legs and it has served me quite well over the years... I remember when buying it there were a number of problems with yellowing screens and a huge lg/samsung debate over which screen was best.. (I had to send back and forth a few before getting a good one)... fast forward 6 years later it seems there are some screen issues again. Now I'm looking to buy something within the next 3-6months, what would you recommend? I'm a photographer and might get into some mild video editing in the future as well... If you have the retina mbp what has been your experience thus far? I usually buy laptops and keep them for 5-6 years till they die so I want something that will put up with daily use and such.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

If you can wait for 6 months then wait to see what Apple does at WWDC. They might scrape the cMBP line though so if you want a computer with a SuperDrive you better buy now. And if you previously had an experience with LG/Samsung,you might want to wait for Apple to sort out the rMBP display issues before buying one.

So I would say wait if you can. New computers are expected from July to September.

3. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

If you're planning to keep it for 5-6 years, and like to extend your machines' usefulness by upgrading and replacing components, you might consider one of the current non-retina MBPs. With the rMBP you cannot upgrade the RAM, SSD (yet), or replace the battery yourself. Even with Applecare taking you out to three years, you will have much less latitude with respect to repairs and upgrades after your coverage runs out than you've experienced with your non-unibody MBP.

4. B... macrumors 68000

B...

You can upgrade the SSD with a proprietary SSD from OWC. They are expensive now but will decrease in price a lot in the future.

5. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I sure hope so because I have been eyeing them for a while. :D

6. fungus macrumors regular

fungus

7. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Lifecycle in general is coming down, and much is dependent on your usage. If you are getting by on a 2007 MBP, likely your needs are not overly demanding; a base 15" Retina would be a good starting point, you can always add up RAM & storage as needed.

The standard MBP is still a fine machine now, equally in 4-5 years it will be very much outdated, same as my own Early 2008 15" Penryn 15" MBP and you will need to put money into it to keep it on pace so to speak. It still gets the job done, however compare to my Retina it`s a dinosaur. Like others have said you have waited a longtime to upgrade, personally I would be inclined to wait and see what Apple releases next, equally the present line up of MBP`s will be blazingly fast compared to your 2007 machine, so if your need is now dont hold back.