Looking to get another.... What should I get?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joshsage, Apr 23, 2007.

1. joshsage macrumors newbie

I currently have a 17" MBP C2D, decked to the gills...

I don't wanna carry this expensive jewel around with me everywhere god forbid something happens to it, I am always a nervous wreck.

I have it limited to two:
    12" Powerbook 1.33GHz - 1.5
    Macbook, any model

Would the true mac gurus step up and tell me what they think I should do, my budget is around 700ish can be bumped w/ the right equipment.

Also if anyone has one to sell, I would be very interested! I am reputible... ebay as rebelsound_amps and have my own business www.rebelamps.com

Sorry to rant, but I mainly want the opinions of the people here, please help me!
    Josh Sage

2. Andrew D. macrumors 6502

Man, I wish I had some extra money to purchase "another".. I don't even have enough to purchase my "first". Sigh, I will sooner or later.

My suggestion would go for a MacBook. The MB will have similar features of your MBP so you will not be lacking that much. Seriously, it would be like having iSight or not having iSight, which is better for you? Cheers!

3. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

4. joshsage thread starter macrumors newbie

I think i found one but is a 1.83 macbook.... Wish they were in the aluminum shell!!!!!
    Josh

5. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

If you are just looking for something small and ridiculously portable, the 12" PB is hard to beat. I've never used one for longer than about 30 seconds, but the screen was too small for my taste. The MacBook, however, has been perfect for me. And, if you can afford it, the black one is sexy as hell...

6. MaaseyRacer macrumors regular

Personally I would sell the 17inch macbook, buy a 24inch iMac, and then get a MacBook.
    But if you are limited to those options, I had a 1.5GHz PowerBook that I loved, and was the most reliable machine. When I worked at an Apple Authorized repair center, it was rare that we saw 12inch powerbooks for anything other than software or abuse. By far the most reliable mac of its time.

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Why did you buy a notebook in the first place if you didn't plan to use it for mobility? Ah well, we may never know.

8. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I'd carry it around with you. I also paid alot of money for my decked out MBP 15 inch (slightless less than yours though) but figure I got a laptop to carry it around, so I might as well. Also, the shell on these make them hard to scratch, I have only 2 of the faintest tiniest scratches underneath mine.

Just get a good bag for it, you'll save yourself hundreds of dollars that you would've wasted on a new machine + you'll save yourself the time it would take to synch your files, etc etc.

But if you insist on getting another one, I'd say a macbook, because while 12 inch powerbooks are incredibly portable and nice looking, they sell for WAYYYYYYYYY too much on ebay or anywhere else. A used macbook will have 5x the performance for only a little more in price.

9. joshsage thread starter macrumors newbie

I got the computer to do everything here for a desktop replacement. I just don't wanna chance it, plus i need sync'd computers in two places. I just got a DECKED G4 12" powerbook for like 700 w/ the 1.5/1.25/SD/Tiger So for just work stuff, that should be just fine!
    Thanks,
    Josh

10. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

You got an EXCELLENT deal on that PowerBook. I only paid $150 less for my iBook, and of course yours is much nicer than mine with a full warranty! Anyway, congrats on your purchase! :)

11. iW00t macrumors 68040

iW00t

I'd sell the 17", get a Mac Pro with the money, and then for the portable get a $300 Dull.