Looking to get back into digital photography. Need camera suggestions.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by XX55XX, Feb 1, 2012.

1. XX55XX macrumors regular

I have a Canon Powershot SD750 (old camera, I know). I haven't shot a single picture on that thing in many months - last time it got a good workout was during last year's PAX East (and I haven't even gotten the photos out of there yet).

I am hardly the best photographer - I know the lingo (focal length, aperture, ISO), but I wouldn't even call myself an amateur photographer - I am just another consumer who seeks to capture mundane moments of life that few others will care about.

At any rate, I am planning to get back into digital photography again after a long hiatus. But, of course, I will need a new camera. I was never really satisfied by my SD750, primarily due to its bad low-light performance. I do a ton of indoor shots, and not even heavy editing through Lightroom can cancel out all of that noise. I am planning to sell it and replace it with a compact that has better low light performance.

Right now, I have two choices that are within my budget: The Canon PowerShot ELPH 300 HS ($166 on Amazon), or the Canon PowerShot ELPH 110 HS ($250). The 110 HS has yet to be released, but I can pre-order one and get it on my doorstep by the time Anime Boston arrives.

But, I am open to any other suggestions for compact cameras that cost less than $300.

2. El Cabong, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012

El Cabong macrumors 6502a

A used Canon S90 or Panasonic LX3 will be less than $300, and around $350 new. I can't think any other compacts in that price range that are at all decent in low light without a flash.

EDIT: Maybe a Nikon P300, but the low light advantage only applies to the wide end of the zoom (same with the S90/95, really). It's less than $300 new.

3. TheDrift- macrumors 6502a

TheDrift-

I am sorry I am not very up on compacts so can't reccomend one for you. If you really want to get into photography why not consider a cheap or second hand dslr?

A small Canon rebel or Nikon equivalent and a 50 mm prime is pretty small and lightweight (tho not by compact standards I grant you :) )

Maybe worth considering if you like your photography?

Anyway hope you find the camera that suits you :)